Holes near corner of brick wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine would like to drill some 7mm holes very close to the external corner of a brick wall to fix a hanging basket and has just asked me how close he dare go in case he splits the bricks. I suggested one quarter of a brick width (about 40mm) to be on the safe side but he'd really like to be much closer; more like 10mm to be precise.

The simple fact is that we are both guessing. Has anybody got any better ideas? We are talking plastic plugs here, not rawlbolts.

Sponsored Links
I would've thought the vibration from a hammer drill will weaken near the edge of the brick and depending on the weight to be hung. Anything is possible but some bricks with the some materials can be weaker than others.

To be on a safe side I would have something like a corner bracket made up unless you can buy them.

Thamks Masona. I hadn't even considered the vibration problem! He's fixed it two inches back from the corner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back