Home power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I guess AdamW may like to comment, due to involvement of Imp Col.

Ceres Power

Ceres Power said:
.... Energy where you need it
The uses of this revolutionary fuel cell are incredibly diverse. They deliver power for almost any purpose that uses between 1 and 25 kW of electric power. At Ceres we are focussed on tailoring this new technology to fit the exact needs of our customers. Target applications include: Domestic Combined Heat and Power (CHP)
Creating electricity and heat on-site in people's homes and businesses offers substantial efficiency savings when compared with traditional energy supplies. Using existing natural gas, oil and packaged gas distribution networks, millions of customers can benefit from lower energy bills, governments are helped in meeting their CO2 targets, and utilities can capture more value.
Apparently sgning a deal with a Meggitt subsidary Dunlop Aerospace for prototyping purposes.

At re-focus.net said:
Global industrial gases giant BOC has entered into an agreement to run development trials of solid oxide fuel cell technology operating on liquefied petroleum gas (LPG). The innovative SOFC, which operates at intermediate temperatures of 550 - 600°C rather than the conventional 750 - 800°C, has been developed by UK-based Ceres Power, a spin-off from Imperial College London. Under the agreement, the two companies will over the next 6 - 18 months assess how LPG works with Ceres wafer-thin fuel cells.
Unlike most other fuel cells, the technology developed by Ceres Power does not need hydrogen as a feed gas, which means that LPG could be used to produce clean, silent power in a wide range of applications. The Ceres team has spent more than 12 years developing and proving its revolutionary intermediate-temperature SOFC technology, ahead of the pre-commercial trials now getting under way with BOC.
Ceres is targeting a range of global applications including residential power units, backup generators, telecoms base stations, construction sites and other off-grid locations. Its technology uses low-cost materials and existing mass-production techniques. Since 2001 the company has raised around £10 million (US$18m) in two rounds of private equity funding from backers including The Carbon Trust, funds managed by Fleming Family and Partners, RAB, Nikko, and Chicago Environmental. The UK's new energy minister, Mike O'Brien, recently opened the company's expanded product development and test facility in Crawley.
Last year BOC ran two stationary hydrogen PEM fuel cell trials in the UK a 100 We unit from Intelligent Energy at its Wolverhampton site, and a 500 We system from ReliOn (formerly Avista Labs) at its St Helens site [FCB, August 2003]. Earlier this year BOC worked with Orange and FDT Solutions to install a Plug Power 5 kWe hydrogen PEM fuel cell system to provide standby power to a mobile telecom system near Aberdeen [FCB, May].

Are we closing in on home installations providing cheap electricity and heat on demand ? Will we be allowed to utilise it when available ? Will it be cheaper or more of the same ?
:!:

Sponsored Links
Interesting stuff! :D

I have read about a town somewhere in England where someone high up in the council is dead keen on green, they have installed bl**dy great big banks of fuel cells (MW levels of capacity) to provide power to council-owned buildings and some shops. Can't remember which one though!

We'll all be driving fuel-cell powered cars when the fossil fuels run out.

AdamW said:
Interesting stuff! :D
...........We'll all be driving fuel-cell powered cars when the fossil fuels run out.
You may very well be doing so -- I hope to be reclining within my fuel celled cave ... paying near SFA for those basic comforts heat and light ! ;)

Who would have thought... with the improvements in technology we are looking to replace our electrical supply cables with another gas supply pipe!

I can imagine a fuel cell would be incredibly useful in a very sunny country. Instead of charging up batteries with your solar panels, you could use spare electricity to electrolyse water and store hydrogen in tanks.

In fact, you could even develop a catalyst that allows water and carbon dioxide to react to form methane and oxygen, thus acting as a CO2 store AND making it easier to store the fuel. This would reduce the atmospheric CO2 levels slightly, thus giving the natural environment more chance to counter the greenhouse gases itself.

Hmmmm, there is a further possibility... With the right catalysts and a source of energy (i.e. solar panels):

CO2 + H2 0 --> 3O2 + C2 H5 OH... ethanol... pure alcohol.

Yes. All we need is the right catalysts and a source of energy, and we can all get pi**ed out of our minds on green electricity! Oh, and the fuel would be even easier to store because it is a liquid between about -20 and +80 celsius. But we could drink it.

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:

Yes. All we need is the right catalysts and a source of energy, and we can all get pi**ed out of our minds on green electricity!

don't' want to spoil the fun ;)) and I could be wrong but shouldn't that be methanol ??
Anyway, if it would work, it would be taxed straight away
:(

WoodYouLike said:
AdamW said:

Yes. All we need is the right catalysts and a source of energy, and we can all get pi**ed out of our minds on green electricity!

don't' want to spoil the fun ;)) and I could be wrong but shouldn't that be methanol ??
Anyway, if it would work, it would be taxed straight away
:(

Methanol is CH3 OH, but still fun to drink according to the "gentlemen of the street" round our way.

However, I did forget to balance my equation, should have been:
2CO2 + 3H2O --? 3O2 + C2 H5 OH :D

Under current law wouldn't be taxed. I know it is illegal to run an unlicensed still but you are definitely allowed to brew your own up to at least 21% (the limit of special yeasts). Only one problem... home brewed wine and liquor tastes rank. Does when I make it anyway! Must be the way I stir the yeast in :LOL:

The one problem with ethanol is that it is a killer - too pure. I'm currently researching methods to water it down, and I'll let you know what happvgzyjnrjrys6jarsrg|AQfavfs\bgtfrhytjtukuuydkkukudtkudtkdtktdkdkko987pppppp0896-78r6655are\sssffffbngfnnnhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

For years I worked at an alcohol factory which, theoretically could make 101,2% pure alcohol (Ethanol). Standard products was 96,2% for distilleries etc.
About 20 years ago there was a maze in the import rules in USSS and Poland. We shipped bulk couriers, barrels and even bottles of the 96,2% stuff over there. They (consumers) didn't even water it down!

:D

hotdog.jpg

"Pass the ketchup please ......"

Just fed the bu##er a coupla chipolatas -- adding flavour -- Which end first tho' ? I know ! We'll do a Tone, eat from the middle outwards ! ;)

Sponsored Links
Back