Hoover AM120, Program Timer Sticks

fly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a Hoover AM120 and the program timer sticks and repeats 'clicking' just before the rinse cycle on all programs. Turning the control knob on by 1 click alleviates the problem for a minute or so then it continues to stick - there aren't many clicks between the rinse cycle and the final stop. Any ideas? :cry:

Sponsored Links
It sounds like stripped gear teeth in the timer. Is the timer knob stiff to turn?

Thanks for the reply.
The timer knob doesn't seem any stiffer to turn.....it was about a year ago, but has been fine since.
I ran a speed wash last night without a load and the control unit was clicking before the rinse cycle started, but I think would have continued with program (I did move it on by one click).
I alos, had a quick look at the brushes, maybe a little worn - hard to tell as I didn't have a star driver to remove to check, there was some carbon powder at the bottom of the unit. But the machine doesn't have a problem in spinning slow or fast so think problem is not brushes.
I also check the waste hose to the stand pipe, this was fairly far down the pipe so have moved out of the stand pipe a fair abit.
I will look to check the pressure switch continuity over the weekend.
Any help/advice always appreciated.

Thanks fido

Sticking timers can be caused by inlet valve, heater, thermostat or pump/draining problems but these things only affect parts of the programme. For example, a burnt out heater would make it stick on wash but all the rinses would take place as normal. A choked pump would make it stick at the first rinse but the wash would still work normally. If it fills to the normal water levels the pressure vessel and switch are probably OK.

Sponsored Links
This is a common problem that can be caused by many different faults. The least common of these is the failure of the timer itself, although this can happen and is usually expensive to replace. It is much more commonly caused by the failure of other components.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back