Hot Water Booster Pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
just a quick question for your expert eyes please
when fitting a hot water booster pump does it go on the run between the cold water header tank and the immersion tank or the run from the immersion tank to the taps.
Just to avoid the debate there is no way the cold water tank can be raised as we have a flat roof (if only)
the pump is an Grundfos UPA 90

my gratitude for any advice offered. :D

Sponsored Links
Between the immersion tank and the taps. They advise a minimum 2 m head. A surrey flange would be advisable also.
You can get kits fitted without too much disruption which will convert your cylinder over to mains pressure and you can retain the gravity supply to the rest of the home.
A lot of plumbers (ccc's /cc'c presumably) connect mains up to bathrooms when they are fitting a gravity system which I cannot quite fathom why they do so which can create a lot of problems. (some people probably like the thought of mains water for brushing their teeth)

Between the cylinder and the taps, use a surrey flange to connect. That's not a great pump though so don't expect fantastic results, it'll only increase pressure by a max of 0.75bar

thanks Muggles & Norcon

its been a long miserable weekend, the plumber put the pump between the feed tank tank & hot water tank yesterday, couln't get the pump to switch to automatic and left it on manualy, oh this is after he orginally put it on up side down, so when I got home last night it was red hot, so turned it off at the mains,
Got him back to day to shift the pump between the tank and taps, and now the sensor unit is not working, he says it must be a faulty pump and to send it back.....obviously can't do that because I don't think it was installed properly.
However you said this pump was not up to much by way of increasing hot water pressure, what would you recommend in its place,
as for the plumber yes he is qualified and Corgi reg...but unfortunately a relative so I can't kick his a....
what a way to spend a weekend... :(

Sponsored Links
There's a vast array of booster pumps on the market for various applications within the home.
It all depends on what you are supplying.

Hi Norcon
I want to increase the flow of hot water to two upstairs bathrooms one about 30 feet away from the hot water tank and on the same level, I don't mind if the pump improves the hot water flow throught the house....I did e-mail Salamander and ask for advice but have heard nothing back and Stuart Pumps wanted to talk to my plumber but I think he's a clue leas as me, don't know if you can suggest anything suitable ;)

My only advice to you is get rid of the muppet who fitted the 15-90 and employ someone who at least knows that the pump is fitted between the cylinder and the outlets and will make a visit to your home and properly access your plumbing layout and advise accordingly.

My only advice to you is get rid of the muppet who fitted the 15-90 and employ someone who at least knows that the pump is fitted between the cylinder and the outlets and will make a visit to your home and properly access your plumbing layout and advise accordingly.
I'll second that

thanks guys
you know thats really sound advice, however said muppet is a very close relative who will be very offended if I go else where.....you know what families can be like..... :rolleyes: but thanks for your advice....it still leaves me with the problem of either getting another Grundfos or something better.

take pity on me please :oops:

im supprised that when set to manual it wasn't just pumping water up the vent pipe back into the tank? where else could it have pumped it. And to say a plumber fitted it before the tank makes me think your having a laugh? :rolleyes:

Hi rssteve
no not a laughing matter the chap is a fully qualified plumber.......and you're right it was pumping back into the cold water tank I think...not sure why the sensor is not working on the pump when he moved it to the feed to the taps though,,,,all I know is its cost me a small fortune and no further forwards, :evil:

However on the plus side stuart turner have suggested a negative single pump either 2.5 or 3.5 bar, so I will give them a ring and see whats what, thanks guys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back