Hot Water Cylinder - Imposed Loadings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On from a previous post mentioning worries re the dead weight of water storage on old joists - does anyone know of a method of partially suspending the cylinder & its platform using adjustable steel stays anchored on suitably reinforced roofing timbers? Presumably rafters, being more accessible, would be easier to reinforce than joists. Anyone out there heard of such a thing being done?

Sponsored Links
Never heard of such a thing, and it sounds positively risky since rafters support a roof, and the roof is a distributed load. You are putting in a point load. Remember gravity acts downwards ONLY. You should employ a surveyor and/or structural engineer for this.

I have done one before but using a bearing wall for support for a platform. As Oilman said best to get a surveyor.

Many thanks for replies - I would definitely get a structural engineer's comments before going this way - I was just wondering if the principle had been explored before.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back