hot water overflow from cold feed cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There is hot water coming out of the overflow pipe from the cold water cistern that feeds the hot water. it is not coming from the vent pipe or from the ball valve so I assume it is coming back up through the cold feed??
i can try draw the system but there are 2 cylinders 3 cisterns and a f+e so it could take some time.
thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
First impressions would be one of the hw cylinder coils split. Search on here for this as the subject has been covered many times.

Wouldnt it be coming from the vent piepe then, and the water seems to be clean

The vent pipe is higher than the standing water level in the tank so it couldn't push it over.

Is your f&e tank higher or lower than the cold storage tank?

Sponsored Links
heres a diagram of the loft setup. what are tanks A and B for? just extra water storage for the cold feed? what if I turned these off? Will the water be coming into the cold feed tank through pipe 1 or 2

Yes these are just 3 smaller tanks linked to produce one large cold water supply tank.

You appear to have 2 cold outlets from the tanks. 1 between tanks a & b and the other from c. I theory they should both come from a as the ball valve is in c.

One of these outlets will be for the hot taps, whilst the other will be for bath cold and/or shower cold supply.

thanks for your replies so far!!!
would the extra outlet be for the immersion cylinder then? the f+e is higher than the other tanks.
heres a pic of the cylinders, im thinking the one on the right is the one with the burst coil, if thats the problem. the one on the left has the immersion.
the pipe work is priceless

what sort of cost is a new cylinder or is that a how long is a piece of string question

As the f&e is higher then it could indeed be a split coil, but usually the water would be slightly discoloured of have a slight chemical smell to it.

Isolate the f&e ball valve, tie up if needed, and monitor the level. This will drop if a cylinder coil is split. As to which coil, outward appearances unfortunately do not count for much :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back