Hot water pipe runs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I'm about to embark on a complete replumb of my house, hot & cold supplies and central heating. The house is a bungalow, so the easiest place to route everything is in the loft, then drop down the radiator feeds, hot & cold water etc in conduits into the various rooms. I'm planning on using the plastic SpeedFit system for most of it.

For the central heating I understand that I will have to put in some automatic venting to make sure air doesn't get trapped in the pipes in the loft and block the flow. I'm assuming I will need to make some sort of artificial highest point in the pipework and vent it there.

For the hot water, I've got the same issue, because this would need to loop up from the cylinder, through the roof and back down to the taps etc. I don't know whether this might cause any similar problems with air blockages. I assume it won't providing the header tank is well above the height of any pipes looping through the loft. Anyone got any thoughts on this?

Sponsored Links
I've found pipes in lofts are a problem. With plastic you will have an additional problem in that they need supporting or they won't run straight. If they don't run straight they sag. If they sag you get airlocks. You could use push-fits, but copper pipe might be better, then you can make sure there is a fall on the horizontal runs, THEN you can put the vents at the high end.

Hot water shouldn't be a problem as you say.

Oilman,

Thanks for the advice on the sagging. Presumably there's no reason why I can't mix and match though - use copper in the loft and plastic to bring the runs down to the radiators?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back