Hotpoint WM52 Heater Replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Hotpoint WM52 First Edition washing machine, and since I had a combination boiler installed to replace the old immersion heater system (of which was much better!) the machine had filled before the hot water had arrived to it. So I moved it the machine out the back next to the tumble dryer, as theyre is a cold water supply. I have joined the hot and cold pipes to the cold, but I have noticed that the water doesnt get warm at all.

I assume this machine has a heater in it? I can see some wires going to the bottom front of the drum, so I assume that this is the heater? If so, how do I test whether it is faulty, and how do you get to it?

Cheers for any help. :)

Sponsored Links
Yes that is the base of the heater. To check the heater there are three connections Live neutral and earth. If it is faulty it will be open circuit, to check you will need a multimeter set on ohms range and the leads on live and neutral off the element if heater is ok, the meter will display a low ohmic reading.If it is open circuit the meter wll display no path through the element

tockworth said:
Yes that is the base of the heater. To check the heater there are three connections Live neutral and earth. If it is faulty it will be open circuit, to check you will need a multimeter set on ohms range and the leads on live and neutral off the element if heater is ok, the meter will display a low ohmic reading.If it is open circuit the meter wll display no path through the element

Thanks, but how do you get to the heater, as it isn't on the back of the drum like a old machine I once had.

Cheers!

The element is at the bottom front of the tub follow scOps advice to remove front but do not disconnect the latch mechanism you can leave it connected there is enough room to swing the door to the right of the machine. you must then test for continuity through the element with a test meter as described in my previous post if there is continuity through the element then the fault lies elsewere. If the element is open circuit do not unclip the front of the drum (this could cause a leak when refitting )I will post instructions to change element from the front. Before removing front unplug mains plug from mains socket of course.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, sounds like my mum is wanting a new machine now, as it is 7 years old! Is it worth repairing this and trying to sell it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back