House extension My Concerns.... am i right? Ideas?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just been and looked at a house for a friend.... its had an extension...
My concerns are...

The floor in the extension area (Lower level) has a major lean on it... a good 2" or so gradiant.

Upper level all seems ok

Roof area.... Major sagging on the roof.... Tiled roof

It was extended over 20 years ago.... with full planning etc...

Whats you thaughts on the problems ive seen?

Sponsored Links
was the building inspected and passed by building control at the time of construction?

if so, there should be a paper trail.

probably?

My advice would be to trust your instinct; if it doesn’t look right & it’s not a bargain, walk away. If the price is right, then check the audit trail & decide if it's worth making a MUCH lower offer; he has nothing to loose.

who say's he's thinking of buying it?

nothing in the OP says this..

he might just have wanted an opinion on why his floor was un-level..

Sponsored Links
ColJack said:
who say's he's thinking of buying it?

nothing in the OP says this..

he might just have wanted an opinion on why his floor was un-level..
Perhaps the OP can confirm but if he's been to look at it for a friend I think it was reasonable to assume his friend was thinking of buying it! The floor is not level for one of 2 reasons; either whoever did it didn’t do a very good job in the first place or it’s subsided since. If you think you can tell which from the information posted then feel free to go ahead!

Hi again guys...

Thaught id try clear up a few things...

YES my friend is looking at buying the house....

ITs a rather large property, Its been on the Market for over a year as it does need a major refurbish.. (New electrics / New heating system etc)...

It has had in its lifetime 3 extensions done. weve investigated the "Papertrail", and have apparently documents to clarify. Not seen these myself yet.

My concerns started when i found out the property had been on the market for over a year.... it has already been reduced by 50k, and from the general enq weve made the vendor may even go down another 20k...

If as we think at the moment the paper work / building regs were followed for the extensions, and they were all done over 20 years ago, then obvs i think there is no comeback on the builder (even if they are still trading)... so the repeairs will be down to my friend (or me once i get roped in)...lol

Its just very strange that the roof sags only on the extension and the ground floor slopes (again only in the extension).

the floor is pretty simple i guess, its timber... just pull it up and fit new joists etc... or even fit a concrete floor....

Its the roof theat concerns me.... let me try explain... the extension is about 15ft long.... and the sag (from ground level) looks like it drops a good foot or maby 18" in the middle.....

Looking forward to more comments on this

Cheers

Could be i guess.... but how come the second floor area is sound.... no leaning etc... the outer structure looks origonal and solid.... its just this roof, and ground floor that has issues....

Im guessing the roof will be a roof off, and re-roof job tho....

Are you sure that the roof actually sags? It's a common practice to make the roof rise a little at each end to stop rainwater running down the gable faces.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back