House Renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Long time observer but first-time poster to the site. in short, my builder (also brother in law) has cancer and been called in for an op at the end of the month. He could have worked up until the 17th Nov but unfortunately, someone from my work has tested positive for COVID so now he can't come near the house due to me being in contact with the person from work.

I'm having major renovation works to the downstairs of my house. In short what has already been completed:
  • RSJ installed at the rear of the house and Bifolds fitted
  • Chimney stack removed
  • Chimney breast removed on ground and 1st floor
  • RSJ installed and wall knocked through between living room and kitchen (was a supporting wall)
  • RSJ installed to replace inadequate steel that was fitted in the 80's (as per SE recommendations) - From the staircase to left hand (party) wall on the picture.
  • some of the stud walls have been erected
I have many questions as I am going to have to complete most of the works myself now due to the circumstances (luckily most the heavy work is completed!)

My first question is (not so much a question but a confirmation if the method is correct):
The floor level between where the kitchen used to be and where the new dining area is going to be, lowers by about 1cm from where we knocked down the wall. There is also a hole of about 7cm where the wall was removed (pictured). There is damp proofing (polythene sheeting) which runs under both sides of concrete flooring (Old lounge/diner and Kitchen). I have dug down to a row of blueish colour bricks which I believe is the foundations where the wall used to be. It was very damp sand/cement and loose until I hit the bricks.
Step one of my plan is:
  • Install new damp proof polythene over the foundation bricks and fold it up to the current concrete floorings.
  • Concrete up to the lower level floor using 5:1 ratio sharp sand:cement.
  • Use self-levelling compound to make the 1cm slope less steep (after 6 weeks??!)
I will have loads of questions going forward but as my options are very limited i.e. I can't get a builder in due to lockdown! Am I making any major mistakes if it do this myself and is there any opinions on what i should/shouldn't do?

I am a relative novice but can follow instructions well so any help is greatly appreciated :D

Any further info can be supplied

Kind regards

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_4074.JPG
    IMG_4074.JPG
    536.9 KB · Views: 199
  • Screenshot 2020-11-08 at 20.54.19.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-08 at 20.54.19.png
    249.4 KB · Views: 208
  • Screenshot 2020-11-08 at 20.53.12.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-08 at 20.53.12.png
    754.3 KB · Views: 201
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back