House rewiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just inherited my Dads house which he built in 1960. He was an electrician. I am now renovating and wonder wether it needs rewiring.
All electrics work ok and the old style CU has circuit breakers plugged into the rewirable fuses. The upstairs lighting loop looks like it has been recently rewired but is fed by the old wire from downstairs.
Any advice very much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hello BazP,

Maybe having a certified electrician do a periodic inspection on the house would put your mind at rest if you have any doubts.

It is not that expensive.

Hope this is of some help.

If there is still original wiring in place from the 60s then this will probably be due for replacement, but as you say some of the lights look to have been rewired, then it is worth getting someone to have a look how much if any of the orignal wiring is still in place.

The fuse box is probably due for replacement with one which incorporates MCBs and an RCD, and the installation of earth bonding will probably be required.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Sparky and RF I've employed an electrician to give everything a look over.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back