House wall has cracked bricks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am buying a house and on the outside wall one of the brick work window frames has developed a crack and has "slipped" down, meaning that some of the bricks in the wall now are cracked and have moved slightly.

It does not look a major problem, but wondered if anyone had any idea how much fixing this sort of thing would cost?

A rough guess is ok.

thanks

Sponsored Links
You're not trying to put me out of work breezer are you ? :LOL:

Sponsored Links
breezer said:

We should not be giving price estimates as we don't know the details of the job or your location, and prices will vary around the country...........oops :evil:

i said 5k as a pure guess to ilustrate how "off" quotes can be, how the heck do i know what it cost for building, i am a sparks

doesnt matter anyway, q was posted wednesday, and not a thing since, i bet he has gone and got / getting several quotes

The two most likely causes for cracked brickwork are: -

1. Settlement.
For this all that is needed is a cosmetic replacement of the panel of bricks, probable cost is a few hundred pounds.

2. Subsidence.
This is very serious and will require underpinning of the foundations, could run to tens of thousands of pounds.

If you are considering buying this property then a full structural survey would be prudent.

Stbd 10

Not an uncommon occurence if it is a soldier course of bricks above a window for one or more to come loose and the most simple and efficient remedy is too tighten them up by packing the joint with some scraps of natural slate ... job done, however it could just as easily be the other end of the spectrum!!!!!!!!

Ayup me duck....... as they say in good old Notts, hows tricks me old mate?

used to be very quick witted but years of
sex and drugs and rock and roll[ian dury god rest his sole]
sex sometimes drugs not since my son was born[13 years ago]
rock yes very heavy and last of all roll bacon egg or tuna salad

:D :D :D :D

big all

Well I have heard and can probably testify to the slowing down of the old facalties to the factors you mentioned but I must say thats the first time I have heard the blame laid on a tuna salad b.a.
Errr one other thing has that favourite tipple of Guiness you have had no bearing on things over the years then :?: :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back