How best to cover up an asbestos roof?

AL

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I'm in the middle of going through the stressful process of moving home. My buyer has had his survey results and says that the archway (passage) between our house and the ajoining house for rear garden access has asbestos panels in the ceiling and they need to be made safe by covering them up or something?

He was talking about putting up a couple of wooden batons on the adjacent walls either side and covering the tiles with plywood or something, kinda like a false ceiling I guess.

Does this sound right? I thought asbestos was only a problem if you were drilling in to it or something. Is there a better way to make it safe (a paint or coating?) assuming it needs anything? I'm waiting for the copy of the survey to see exactly what has been said......

Any help or advice will be very much appreciated.

AL

Sponsored Links
Well if its intact, I would have thought a good coat of something. Unless the idea is to blank it off so it can't be bashed or broken. Even then if you have to baton it won't you have to screw into the asbestos?

Never done one of these, the others should know.

Good luck :)

Nah, I can put the batons on the two walls that are parallel to each other. The passage is only a couple of foot wide. Apparantly the technical term for this is encapsulation.

I wish the survey we had done had warned us of this, apparently our back gate contains asbestos too, i didn't know this and so cut a hole for the cat flap in it using a power tool and no breathing protection. Too late to worry now though :rolleyes:

Well a sheet of ply screwed into battens and then screwed onto the walls will sort it. You seem to have answered your own question there. Are these corrugated roof sheet type asb.? If so just carefully remove them and replace with corrugated bitumen sheets. About £8 each from Wickes. The council should a facility for disposing of the old stuff, give them a ring.

Sponsored Links
No these are flat grey tiles that have been nailed up onto the bottom of the joists. It's the same flat material that was used in the soffits. like the ones in the picture below:

transitesheets.jpg

try posting this on plumbing and central heating it looks like it has something to do with your boiler as part of fire regs.....i might be wrong though :idea:..also has it been tested as there are products on the market that look very si milar to asbestos :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back