How big a space do I need for a Dowstairs Loo?

cjb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

We want to put a downstairs loo in our understairs cupboard.

The wall is on the left, and the length of from left to right is around 3m. The width is approx 1m, and you have head height of around 1.8m head height for about 1.5m.

We want to put the loo on the left wall, and use as little of the cupboard as possible as ideally we'd still like to retain some of the cupboard for storage.

Any ideas of the minimum amount of space we can use? Is it literally how close the the loo, cistern & basin can be used in comfort, or do I have to take into account something more technical than that?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
i have another question to add to my original!

I've seen you can get loos where the cistern is hidden behind a wall... we could do this if we could put up a false wall on the right of the cupboard, with another wall to mount the cistern on...

Is this feasible? Would stud wall be sufficient to hold cistern weight? And possibly an entirely stupid question... if the waste pipes are the on the right of the cupboard, they would have to 'bend' as the soil pipe will have to come under the left hand cupboard wall..

Is this possible?

Many thanks!

You can put your loo in 1 metre space but may be tight. Try a dry run and see if you are happy.
You can fit one of the small basins if you are stuck for space. Again try a dry run as you will have to live with it.
Make sure the drainage will be ok especially with the loo.
If you build a stud wall put a large noggin across where you will be hanging your cistern for a good fix. I wouldn't trust those cavity fixings for anything heavy such as a cistern full of water. :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - especially for the dry run bit!

We had a Civil Engineer round last night, we can put the loo in the space, it will be best to put up a stud wall and hang the cistern from it, and as we are having the kitchen & morning room floors up anyway we will run the soil pipe out to the drains at the back.

Thanks for your help.

Our downstairs loo is squeezed into the understairs cupboard and measures 110cm wide and 80cm from door to window, we used a slimline cistern and cloakroom basin, but having lived with it for 4 years we're going to change it to one of the compact sort where the loo is in one corner and the basin in the other as hubby finds his knees knocking on the basin when reading his bike magazine. We also kept some space accessible from the hallway to store shoes and hang coats although if you lose a shoe it means you're literally on your hands and knees looking for it. Hope this helps.

Looby

Thanks very much Looby, that's really good to know.

Our cupboard sounds a tiny bit bigger than yours, so hopefully hubby's knees won't knock too much :LOL: (although to be honest, if he wants to read his rugby mags then he can flippin well go upstairs because I am going to specify 'no No 2's in my downstairs loo' :LOL:

Well, I can live in hope, can't I!

Thanks for your help :LOL:

Look at the Ideal "Space" range. About as small as you'll get. Don't forget if you sit the cistern ON a noggin in a stud you'll have to drill most of it out for the flush pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back