how can i find how fast my braodband is running at???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently paying for 8mb braodband and i know it is not going to be 8mb, but i was wonderering how i can check what speed it is atually coming down my line at to my pc.
My previous pc used to tell me on my network connection on bottom of screen. That was when i had windows XP. Now i have Vista Home premium edition.

Reason i am asking is i what to change my broadband server and i was wondering about downgrading to 2mb.

Sponsored Links
cheers for that. interesting results. 1.46 mb download and only 0.3mb upload and im paying for 8mb lol. Good bye BT

read the small print.

it says UPTO 8mb

who do you suppose maintains the kit for independant bb companies? *

why do you suppose they say "BT phone line required" ?

* not cable companies

also depends on which bb speed testing site you use, i too used the one provided, then did the obvious, and had quite a few varying results

Sponsored Links
if you are using bt line you wont get all that much difference with other providers as the distance from the exchange and users on line govern the capacity

big-all said:
if you are using bt line you wont get all that much difference with other providers as the distance from the exchange and users on line govern the capacity
yeah i m aware of this. Its just im currently paying 35+vat a month for 8mb BB and i have sky tv so might as well go with them and pay £5 a month and get the 8mb BB from them. They offer 2MB BB for free but as mine is runniong at 1.5MB will it still run at 1.5MB even if i downgrade to 2mb connection or is it a percentage thing.

I had BT phone me about 6 mths ago offering up to 8mb if I stayed with them, I had no plans to leave, so agreed. After the first week it was at 6+mb. The last 2 months about 4mb. I suppose this is because more people are on it.

no.

bt have this funny policy, you pay x, they then bring out a new offer you pay x-y, they dont tell you about the new offer so you still pay x

freddymercurystwin said:
micky p said:
big-all said:
Its just im currently paying 35+vat a month for 8mb

You're joking right! :eek:

well its £25 + vat for broadband then £10 +vat for line rental. (you would think BT would throw the line rental in for free if you went with them)
They tried offering me a disscounted rate of £19.99 inc vat a month when i requested my MAC code lol. Same old story they never ring you up offering you a better deal when you don't want to leave :rolleyes: Anyway i told then where to shove it as they couldn't beat sky's quote.

BT is pretty bad for broadband (and expensive as you see) there are hundreds of smaller broadband companies around, try eclipse?

Dave Rowtree said:
BT is pretty bad for broadband (and expensive as you see) there are hundreds of smaller broadband companies around, try eclipse?

have to dissagree

breezer said:
who do you suppose maintains the kit for independant bb companies? *

why do you suppose they say "BT phone line required" ?

* not cable companies

went to someones house today, she had talktalk, she says sack of s***, mate has it he loves it

Well maybe saying BT is bad is pretty subjective, if you want a more expensive and slower service than most alternatives, in addition with inept customer services;

go with BT.

Sponsored Links
Back