How can I test solder joints for air tightness?....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How's the best way for a DIy'er to test if a copper solder joint is air tight? Plumber was in supplying gas pipe upstairs to new boiler and I didn't see him do any sort of check....I realise he's experienced and registered etc. but for my own peace of mind (and curiosity) how can I check it?

Thanks,

Henrik

Sponsored Links
There isn't a diy check to do a tightness test except to turn your gas appliance off and check to see if the guage moves round over a period of time. Are you sure he didn't check it?, it only takes a few minutes at the gas meter.

If you have any concerns get the guy back.

To put your mind at rest in the interim, smell the joint (if it is leaking badly you will smell gas) and brush a weak solution of washing up liquid and water around the joint and watch for bubbles.

I must stress that these are only DIY methods to satisfy yourself that there is no major leak until you get the professional back i.e. so that you don't need to turn the gas off whilst you wait.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back