How do I install a wall mounted basin mixer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a Cifial Techno 300 Wall Mounted Basin Mixer, without back plate, for by bathroom.

Just looking at how to mount it in the wall, as it comes with no instructions. The brass 'workings' with the 3 chrome cylinders (hot and cold taps and the spout mount) which poke through the wall, has no mounting lugs. Is is sufficient to mount it on the 15mm copper hot and cold supply pipes and then just to silicone around the chrome cyclinders once the walls are up? I am installing 20mm Wedi Boards on that wall.

Many thanks.

Pete

Sponsored Links
These ones ?
images

And a set of Fischer fixings to support basin.

Al

PilotPete,

Have a look at the Technical Drawing PDF document you supplied the link to. On the tap you will see listed number 1... Manifold. That's the bit that goes on the 'otherside' of the wall and the taps screw into it :D

Sponsored Links
Yeah, very clever. My question is not which bit is which, but HOW do I install the manifold. Can it just 'sit' on the supply pipes, or does it need attaching to a stud/ noggin and if so how would this be done as it has no lugs or mountings. :rolleyes:

Pilot Peter

I too am about to fit similar fittings (Sanitan) that also have no fixing brackets. Mine are to be chased into a brick wall, so the pipweork can be secured easily.

You have no choice also - you must fix suitable noggins to secure the pipework or your spout and taps will soon be wobbly.

regards

Andy

It's a farce isn't it! You can use backplate elbows, sometimes, or pipe clips. There are various foams for fixing things (like windows - 2 part quickset variety), many of which are surprisingly strong once the whole assembly is embedded. FIx the front bits to a plank & screw to wall while the hidden parts set. You won't be the only one to think it's bloody ridiculous that they don't provide a simple plate :rolleyes: .

This stuff has many uses and saves hours...
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea...=fixing+foam&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=5&y=4
If you really need to dig it out, you can.

Looking at the drawing I'd be inclined to fit a noggin as close as possible to the taps. Say one with holes drilled a close fit on the pipes, then sawn in half and screwed back together to clamp the pipes.
If you fit a couple of wall plate elbows to the tap to fix it down to a noggin, you'd probably have to add a couple more elbows to them to get the pipes facing the right way.
Pity the design doesn't appear to incorporate a mounting flange, but I suppose the makers only have to sell them, not fit fit them. :evil:

Hope the pipes seal OK, as I see the drawing specifies NPT threads as opposed to BSP or BSPT normally seen here. They should fit, but they aren't ideal partners. Looks like a job for plenty of PTFE tape if the pipes seal on the thread!

Thanks for your replies guys, very helpful. I hadn't thought of fitting it within expandable foam, I can see that that would work as I have used the stuff before and it does hold pretty well.

Tickly T, I was thinking exactly the same as you; a noggin with the three holes drilled out, then split lengthwise, using screws to clamp each half securely around the manifold.

However, after some more thought and a trip to my local engineering supplies shop (with a couple of bloody clever guys behind the counter who have a solution for everything!) I have just completed the installation by buying a length of stainless steel stud to make 2 'U' bolts (the guy in the shop said this would be better than over the counter U bolts as you may nog get the 'U' size close enough and the thread deep enough), with 4 largish washers and stainless nuts. The stud bent reasonably easily enough around a hammer shaft which was clamped to the workbench. Ends then cut off leaving a suitable amount to reach through a length of timber noggin. This was secured immediately above the manifold and then the clamps tightened around the manifold and through the noggin. It has worked a treat and the tap is very secure, level and the outlets protrude squarely.

Regarding the threads TicklyT, you were right....I wish I had read your reply this morning before my 3 trips to the plumbers merchant as I couldn't get a seal!!!!!! In the end I used 15mm x 1/2" compression couplers and flexi tap hoses, with plenty of PTFE as I had some washers, but the thread of the coupler wouldn't reach all the way to the back of the threaded olive supplied with the manifold.....

It has taken me all day (I am just a DIYer and not a trained plumber), but with a list price of £350 and supposedly a product for the UK market it is a joke. The manifold is also too deep for standard UK walls. It is lucky that I am fitting 20mm Wedi walling and then 12mm stone tiles or else the manifold would be sticking through my finished wall....unless of course I re-battened the whole wall to make the void bigger........... :rolleyes:

How do you professionals deal with all these pain in the @rse problems on an everyday basis! I would be surprised if you could make any money out of a job like this with all the extra hassle and improvising which all takes time! I'll stick to flying planes, much easier!!!!!

Thanks once again. I was going to insert a picture of it, but I can't work out how to do that either!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back