How do I take this tap apart to replace the washer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My upstairs bathroom tap was dripping and stupidly I put off the job as a plumber is coming next week to do a big job on the house so I didn't want to call him out separately.

Now the tap is running constantly and won't turn off. There are two shut-off valves: one 'in-line' one under the basin and a tap downstairs which turns off the water to the upstairs. I have a downstairs bathroom as well so I thought I could get by until the plumber comes.

Well it is typical that neither of those shut-off valves is working! :rolleyes:

I have changed the inside of a tap before by unscrewing the cover which said 'hot' and just undoing a screw. Unfortunately I cannot see how to undo this tap, the ceramic thing on the top does not seem to lever or screw off. Please can anyone help? I do realise it would be better to call a plumber but I would like to try myself if possible.

Thanks for any advice.

u4dMql.jpg
[/url]

Sponsored Links
Turn off the water supply to the tap.
Use a spanner on the hex part of the main body, and while holding the spout firmly, undo the main body anti clockwise and remove the tap innards.
There is no need to remove the tap handle.

Thanks, I will give it a shot but it is a pity it is not as simple as the tap I did before. Everything seems to be seized up, so I might not be strong enough.

For a constantly running tap is it usually the washer or the unit inside the tap that needs replacing?

Normally a damaged washer, or if you are really unlucky the valve seating may be pitted. In that case the tap would require reseating. A plumber would fix that in 10 mins, so that may be your best bet.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I had to find my adjustable spanner thing and got it undone. I replaced the washer and it stopped the continuous running. I will get the plumber to re-do it properly when he is here next week, though. I feel like I might have missed something important.

Thanks ever so much for the help. I wouldn't have known how to undo the tap. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back