How do you cut a 20mm hole in a metal box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above. I need an extra outlet for 20mm plastic conduit system from a metal garage CU, and there is no suitable knockout. Is there a special tool for the job? or do i need to drill & file for hours?

Thanks

slip

Sponsored Links
use a holesaw, remember to drill a pilot hole first.

And turn the board off when drilling a hole is a good idea !
I have seen a file that a fellow sparks used on a 'tight-hole' so to speak, bus bar + file + panel = bang ! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
cool, i've got a hole saw. didn't realise they were good for metal - thought they were just plastic and wood type things.

thakns

You may have a hole saw that is only suited to plastic/wood. Check first, otherwise you'll make a right mess of the saw and your workpiece....

I wondered if there'd be a punch type tool - i'd seen them for cutting tap holes in sinks before. Irritatingly I put an RS order in for work only this morning :eek:(

Not sure if the punch'd get through the CU - it looks pretty thick steel to me. I'll have a go with the holesaw tonight and if it's a no go then i'll have to get a hole cutter.

cheers

slip

hole saw did the job. i could only find a 19mm, so i had to file round the edges a bit. But it looks nice and neat now.

Bit annoyed that the CU didn't come with more knockouts. It's a wylex, and it had 2 20mm on the bottom and a much bigger one - about 40mm maybe, on the top.

My armour comes in one of the bottom holes and i wanted a 20mm on the top for conduit. Now i have one.

thanks

slip

slippyr4 said:
hole saw did the job. i could only find a 19mm, so i had to file round the edges a bit. But it looks nice and neat now.

Bit annoyed that the CU didn't come with more knockouts. It's a wylex, and it had 2 20mm on the bottom and a much bigger one - about 40mm maybe, on the top.

My armour comes in one of the bottom holes and i wanted a 20mm on the top for conduit. Now i have one.

thanks

slip

should have got a 20mm with ease

yeah, but i meant out of the ones i had in stock. my holesaws have all been bought for specific needs, evidentally i've never needed a 20 before.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back