How do you handcut 7" skirting boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to add 7" skirting boards to the pillars holding up the RCJ between my dinning and living room which I have just knocked through. But I cannot find a mitre big enough unless I buy one ov them very expensive cutting machines. is there a way you could accurately do this by hand?

Sponsored Links
Quite simple really :confused:

Mark the angle on the top edge of the skirting, continue the line down the face and saw carefully. No mystery really, perhaps you should consider a basic carpentry class before you continue.

:oops:

This question obviously sounds a bit silly to someone who knows what they are doing. But your advice is really appreciated. While I am on a roll could you advise the best type of saw for this job? I am building my tools up, so if there is a better tool to do the job than a standard saw, I shall go out and get it

Sponsored Links
youd need to be pretty good at karate to cut it by hand ;)

You could always rub your hands together until they are sore (saw) and then use that :p

This might sound a bit daft but does anyone have any diagrams showing how to do this. As I have tried several times now what has been suggested, but cannot achieve a good fit for my 90 degrees cuts. I always end up with a gap at the top or the bottom of the skirts when I put them together. If it makes any difference my skirts start off at 10mm at the top and 20mm at the bottom. What am I doing wrong :?: :cry:

if you are getting the same results again and again your walls are out[or your saw is wrongly set up]
you must check the angles on the wall [on both planes]and make adjustments accordingly

take two short off cuts of skirting do an internal internal mitre at one end and an external mitre at the other end to be a matching pair check they sit squarely with each other use a set square to check the internal external and the angle in relation to the floor
once youve done that you know your mitresaw is ploperly set up

you now use these as a guide at your corners just position them on the corner if the joints need ajusting you can see by how much
just remember you must adjust the angles on both pieces by the same amount if the angles are different on the two bits they may fit but one bit will overhang the other

Thanks for your reply big-all but as I mentioned earlier I am unable to use a mitre because my skirts are 7" and I cannot find one big enough. So I am having to do them by hand and the gap I mentioned is happening not against the walls but at the very edges of my right angle cuts where the 2 cuts meet. I don’t think I would have a problem if the skirts was straight pieces of wood but because of the pattern towards the top of the skirt, this is some how throwing me out. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back