How do you listen to your music these days?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sombrero, 11 Sep 2013.

1. Sombrero

Sombrero

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Nice one. Out of interest, how old are you? (nearest decade)... and you're preserving vinyl and postmen !!!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Nige F

Nige F

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I use a jukebox as old as I am - and a Pro-ject deck ( 90`s ) through a Leak amp (60`s) driving a pair of KEF`s ( 70`s) . A Bush radio in the Garage , tuned to the Light Programme ;)

4. LargeWrench

LargeWrench

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I'm 24. Probably sounds surprising that i buy vinyl considering my age but i've always been fascinated by it! An older cousin of mine had a huge collection from the late 80's right up to the early 00's. It was mainly all electronic music but he also had some funk, soul and jazz. Myself personally i'm mainly into electronic music. House & techno and your earlier electronic music like underworld, 808 state, future sound of london e.t.c. The only downside is the cost, the average record is at least £7.00.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. No wasn't a Nakamichi Dragon, they do go for a lot, it was an AIWA ADF990F, a good deck in it's time. I was happy, buyer was happy. An old classic, also sold, a rega planar 3, zeta arm linn k9 cartridge, and and audiolab 8000a integrated amp, all nice stuff sounded so much better than the stuff available today.

6. JBR

JBR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's not the equipment, however good it may be, it's the medium. Cassette tapes can stretch, lose their content due to stray magnetic fields, even distort in high temperatures.

I'm old enough to remember 8-track tapes too. They didn't seem to last ten minutes, at least in my car!

7. ntb

ntb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The key thing to getting high performance out of cassette (and turntables) is very high precision engineering because you are trying to extract tiny signals from moving media in contact with moving parts. Any misalignment, vibration, errant RF signals or variation in media speed degrades performance.

Bearing this in mind, most transport mechanisms, even in quite expensive decks were mass produced out of stamped parts, usually with just one motor driving the whole affair. They worked, they just didn't work well.

Nakamichi were utterly obsessed with getting the maximum performance out of cassette and applied the engineering needed to get it - to the point of calibrating their machines for specific blank tapes. The factory settings were for TDK D, SA, and the TDK metal tapes but you could specify calibration for your own preferred tapes if required. Their kit was extremely expensive as a result but even the entry level players would leave you hard pressed to distinguish a recording from the original if you ignored the fairly minimal tape hiss (almost no hiss with metal tapes).

If you look on ebay at the moment there is a Dragon (the top model) with a buy it now for £750. Perhaps a bit optimistic but new, that would be around £6k in today's money.

8. Sponsored Links
  9. well at the time, a revox reel to reel was the utter defacto standard, best not to get me started on old hifi, i was an uber bore on it.

lets face it valve amps were still, the uber best, krell, etc.

That said, it's a bit like wine, if you can't tell the difference, but really if you cant tell the difference between an mp3 and something played properly, you really need your hearing checked!!

10. ntb

ntb

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The results you can get with reel to reel are stunning. I once heard a second generation copy from a BBC master tape of The Goon Show from the 1950's. Nothing you can buy on the high street comes remotely close in terms of sound quality. The digital era of recording and playback sacrifices performance for convenience and cheapness.

11. wobs

wobs

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    What sort of music would that be?

12. JBR

JBR

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Classical organ music.

13. I remember my parents having an 8-track system when I still lived 'at home'. the sound was fantastic. I still don't get why most modern recordings fail to use true stereo - where you can here different instruments/voices from individual speakers. What a waste of technology.

14. TerryMI5

TerryMI5

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    In the car, with my subwoofer blasting the bass!