how do you remove black hair dye from countertops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has black hair dye everywhere in the bathroom, floors doorway, sink etc. the hardest one however we cant seem to get rid of is the stain on the countertop PLZ HELP! :cry:

Sponsored Links
Would bleach straight out of the jug harm the counter top?

If it's plastic laminate, it shouldn't.

thank you for responding. Bleach didnt phase it and neither did acetone. We have tried alot of things. thank you for trying :D

Try leaving the bleach on for longer.

Puddle a little bit of bleach over the stain and let it sit on the stain for a while. The bleach should work to remove the stain, and if it doesn't seem to be working, it could simply be that you need to leave it on for longer.

The following is a process called "procking", and it's the biggest gun in the arsenal when it comes to removing stains from solid surfaces:

1. Take a WHITE cloth or paper towel, soak it with bleach so that it's almost dripping, and put that over the stain.

2. Cover with CLEAR plastic (like a clear plastic bag split open) so that the bleach doesn't evaporate and hold down the perimeter of the plastic by putting something on it. (I use a small chain I have because it's readily adaptable to different shapes.) Covering with a dish or bowl will also work, both with and without the plastic. The objective here is to cover the bleach soaked rag or towel so the bleach doesn't dry out. Printing on the bag can usually be removed with some nail polish remover.

3. Check the stain periodically, and if it seems to be removing the stain, leave it on to let it work.

The reason why you need a white rag or paper towel and a clear plastic bag with no printing on it is because any dye in the rag or ink on the plastic could end up penetrating into the surface and leaving another stain.

I've removed stains from sheet vinyl flooring by procking the stain out, and in some cases I had to leave the bleach on overnight.

I am concerned that you might end up taking some colour out of your plastic laminate though. So, check the stain frequently at first during the procking process to see if that is happening. I'd be reluctant to leave any bleach on anything overnight. You'd be better off using another rag the next day, and only do it during the day when you can check on it every so often.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back