How hard to learn to plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I really want to learn to plaster or perhaps the correct term is skimming?

I'm planning on reading up on plastering maybe getting some practise on a few pieces of plasterboard then having a go at my bedroom.

Do you think this is achievable and does anyone have any tips? The bedroom I want to attempt currently has a textured finish on the walls and I want to change it to a smooth one which plaster/pva etc should I buy?

Thanks.

http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wall16jz.jpg

Sponsored Links
I hope you are still glancing at your message for an answer.

It's an art is plastering I know I've tried it and worked with a plasterer who made it look so easy flat and smooth as a baby's bum.
but he was an apprentice for several years, but of course it'a said the trade Unions ruined the appretiships by their cry of 'Cheap labour'.

You could try your jobcentre and see if you can get on to that under the retraining scheme. Try searching the website or shops for videos or CD's on the subject. Wickes used to do videos phone head office they may put you on to a lifestyle supplier who deals in construction videos and CD's
Of course why didn't I think of it before go to www.diydoctor.org.uk enter the site look in the left list select DIY projects and scroll down subject until you come to plastering that will start you off. you can also select their appointments site where you can ask questions they may have an advertiser on their site who deals in structural /building cd's or videos.

Good luck I have just finished my bathroom walls, not to bad but also not passable flat.

There is a good place that teaches plastering and dry lining in E. Sussex :idea: Not sure if I can name them here but......ask for directions to the industrial estate-opposite the mobile homes park.Ask In the petrol station,on the A22 at Golden Cross ;) If you`re in Sussex and keen ,you`ll find them. Good Luck.

You could try these people. This is neither an endorsement or a recommendation just something I stumbled across one day in the Sun newspaper of all places, I'd mistaken it for the telegraph you see ........ Ahem.

Sponsored Links
I also wanted to do some skimming and a bit of repair work. I had tried before and made a real mess of it. I did a 2 day course at this place.
http://www.plasteringworkshop.co.uk/default.aspx

I have since skimmed a couple of ceilings, walls and rendered and skimmed a couple of walls. In my opinion as good as any I have seen. It is really useful to have someone show you what to do right from mixing to surface preparation and putting the stuff on the wall BUT......

Although I can now plaster reasonably well I am in no way a professional plasterer. For one I can't do it anywhere near as fast as a pro which can limit the size of job you take on (although there are ways of breaking a job down) and I wouldn't tackle some tricky situations. But to skim up some board, I say have a go. You don't have to do much to save the cost of the course. If I was doing a whole house though I would still get a pro in.

Thanks for the replies I was keeping an eye on the thread. I think I might start by getting a dvd or video guide and then trying it out on a sheet of hardboard like they advise on diy doctor and seeing how I go.

If the plaster isn't completely smooth, can you go over it with a sander to smooth it out afterwards?
When I decorated our hallway I filled marks in the plaster with the appriate filler then sanded it afterwards so it was smooth and level with the rest of the wall before painting and it looked fine.

AdrianB said:
Thanks for the replies I was keeping an eye on the thread. I think I might start by getting a dvd or video guide and then trying it out on a sheet of hardboard like they advise on diy doctor and seeing how I go.

If the plaster isn't completely smooth, can you go over it with a sander to smooth it out afterwards?
When I decorated our hallway I filled marks in the plaster with the appriate filler then sanded it afterwards so it was smooth and level with the rest of the wall before painting and it looked fine.
use Easifill....it`s part of the drylining system .Put on with an Artex caulking blade :idea:

Nigi can I confirm you mean use easifill with an artex caulking blade as a way of removing the artex on the walls as i'm not quite sure what those things are?

practice practice and practice! give it a go, you never know till you try

Your local college will probably run plastering courses but the drawback is that it will be only at certain times of the year. Not too expensive though.

goldtrowel do dvds for plastering,

(Bonus DVD) FLAT RENDERING AND PEBBLEDASHING

Part 1
PLASTERBOARDING
SKIMMING PLASTER BOARDS
FLOAT AND SET
MAKING GOOD AND REPAIRS

Part 2
GLUE (PVA) AND SKIM
GLUE (PVA) FLOAT AND SET
COVING
FLOOR SCREEDING

There are also people on ebay doing plastering dvds that have been filmed at training centres but the quality isnt that good.

I have been doing plastering at college 1 day a week and i learned more from the dvds than i did from the lecturers, I go to college to practice what i learn on the dvds, As the lecturer is hardly ever around when you need him.

There are also a few really good books around that explain most things.

I have a couple of pdf documents for plastering that are useful if you need them sending?

AdrianB said:
Nigi can I confirm you mean use easifill with an artex caulking blade as a way of removing the artex on the walls as i'm not quite sure what those things are?
caulking blade is lika big filling knife.made of a grey plastic with a wooden handle across the top.and the easi fill is used for filling over taped joints in tapered edge p/board walling..basically it`s cheaper and sands easier than decorators filler.polyfilla or tetrion ;) Remove artex with a special grinder from hire shop :idea:

Hello, new here.

Quick question, is the textured wall artexed.

If so, get out a wall paper steamer, steam the wall and peel off the artex with a stripping blade. Have been busy doing this to my ceilings recently, works a treat.

Sadly my local college don't do plastering as I looked into it. I've also looked at the different dvds and the looked over the goldtrowel ones. After your recommendation I think I'll buy them and see how I go.

Would love the pdfs if you don't mind, my address is [email protected].

Thanks.

Hey that's great. A DVD teaching you to plaster in 45 minutes.

Sure beats the hell out of a 4 year apprenticeship.

Why didn't anyone think of it sooner?

joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back