How long between coats ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just put the first skim (Thistle Bonding - Purple logo) on the first wall I've ever plastered.

Its gone on OK and appears to be drying out OK. It is on to a thickness of about 2mm - 3mm

How long do I wait before doing the final top coat ?

Realise its a basic question, but I've never done this before and don't want to make a DB out of it now by top-coating too soon or too late

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If you've just skimmed the wall with Thistle bonding coat, then that is undercoat plaster and you will have to wait for it to set before you can put on the Multi finish (finishing plaster). That comes in a white bag with orange writing/logo. Have you got a bag of multi? You'll know when Bonding coat is beginning to set because you will see it change from the light colour to darker, patches will appear in it and when it has completely set it will be darker all over. That is when you should put on the finishing. You can put it on earlier but this can cause blisters/bubbles.

Roughcaster.

Cheers Roughcaster

Does it have to be Multi Finish ?

I don't have a bag of that, bought Green bag (finishing coat, I think)

If it has to be the former, I'll go back & swap bags ......

Thanks again :D

What you have in the green bag is Board Finish, for using on plasterboard. I would use Multi finish, it can be used on plasterboard or on a solid floated surface, most would use it nowadays........ One more thing, if you have coated the wall with bonding, and are now thinking of putting on the finishing plaster some 2 or 3 days later, you will have an awkward job. Most, if not all walls that are coated with plaster, be it undercoat or just multi finish skimmed, are completed the same day. In other words, start and finish the wall/s on the same day, don't do one coat today and another one tomorrow. It makes for very hard work..

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again Roughcaster ........ it was the 'do I do it all on the same day' which I needed to know, and now you've kindly answered it :D

I tried earlier to do a thin coat with Board Finish ...... gave up after 2 float-fulls !

Stuff was damn near setting on the float and went onto the wall like a half-solid turd - scraped off easily enough though

Remixed another sloppier mix of bonding (all I've got in) and that went on fine, but have now run out, with about 4 sq. ft. remaining :evil:

Still, am enjoying the learning experience, not least how much plaster can I wear :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Bonding is not a finishing plaster, won’t give a satisfactory result & your wall will look pants; get yourself a fresh bag of Multi finish & use that. If you’ve let Bonding dry out, it will suck like hell & you will need to give it some serious PVA before attempting to skim with Multi. Apply one PVA coat which will probably get totally absorbed by the Bonding & let it dry thoroughly; when your ready to plaster, apply another liberal coat of PVA & then another immediately over that & away you go but it will still be a bit quick on ya!

Like richard said or get a garden water sprayer and soak the wall all over till the water is not absorbed then skim it .....You could skim it with your board finish shouldn't make any difference if youv'e killed the suction... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back