How long to fire up again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Halstead Hero 75 and am running it at present by turning up the roomstat to 25 and using the individual radiator thermostats to control temperature. This is all working fine, with a constant temperature of about 20 being maintained in the living room and other rooms also as we want them.

9 rads plus towel rail, which is the only item without a stat. Boiler stat turned up to about three quarters output

Can someone please tell me how long an interval there should be between the boiler closing down and firing up again as it seems very short to me, about 3 or four minutes. Seemed a bit longer on a system used the same way in another house.

Many thanks
Arni

Sponsored Links
cant really answer your question but i have the same on and off every 3 or 4 minutes with my boiler.i dont have a room stat just stat on front panel of combi boiler and it doesnt matter what setting i set it at,it keeps tripping on and off.when boiler was serviced last month i asked plumber if this was ok and he said it quite normal..

Hi Nstreet, roomstat is in lounge. I thought it didn't matter where it is, by setting it high it just keeps the boiler switched on to let the rad stats and the boiler's own stat to control the system, but I may have got the wrong end of the stick.

Humph, thanks for that, seems like mine isn't too far out then.

Thanks, Arno

Sponsored Links
If you have the room stat in the lounge and the rads in the lounge have trv's and the room stat is set high as you say then the call for heat will be constant as the room stat will never switch the boiler off. Therefore the boiler is relying on its own thermostat. So its quite possible that it will fire up every few minutes.

You really need the room stat in the coldest part of the house, normally the hall, no trv's on the rads in this area. Set the roomstat to a comfortable temperature (20 deg C) and use the trv's in the other rooms to keep them as desired. if the other rooms don't get warm enough turn the thermostat up a degree at a time until you are comfortable in the lounge.

You may find your gas/oil bill is considerably easier to look at each qtr ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back