How many downlights for a 3.25 metre square kitchen ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many downlights for a 3.25 metre square kitchen?

Plan on using 6 or 8 50w roof mounted downlights (GU10's)

Will 6 be enough or would 8 be better ??

Cheers,

Co.

Sponsored Links
Are you having under wall unit light as well? Or a floodlight vent canopy over the cooker hob?

On the assumption that you are not, I tend to plan the GU10's per the amount of worktop area your going to have.

About 750mm in from the wall towards the centre and one for every 1.0m around the room. That suggests between 6-8 lights.

Do note that if your getting Gu10 x 240v, you can get different beam angles (I think it's 35 deg and 60 deg beam), and different lamp types- LED, halogen and standard ones.

Each type has different LUX levels

Thanks Chris for your quick reply :D
Kitchen is yet to be built but will have 6 20W (G4 M47) under cabinet lights as well as a cooker hood with 2 lights (not sure what type - Comet's own hood) & there will prob be 2 L's of worktops making about 5-6m in total.
Your spacing round the room is what my wife was on about (I thought about a central one & the rest round the edges)

I'll get planning tonight.

Co.

Sponsored Links
Hey Dingbat, I'll do you a good deal on a English Rose (circa 1950's) sink unit if you like the retro look ;)

:D

You do realise, though, that the Swiss-cheese ceiling look is already on the endangered list? Just think Artex. ;)

Ahhh buts its got to be better than the nice polystyrene tiles that were up there :LOL:

Cats ( the furry type ) apparently love downlights as they create warm areas in the floor of the room above them.

Don't overestimate the amount of light these give. I've got 9 (=450w!!) in a 13 foot sq kitchen and they weren't particularly bright. I have changed the lamps to Megaman 11w coolwhite and the difference is tremendous.

The 50w halogens give a very yellow light which isn't best suited to kitchens.

Up the number + have different switching arrangement rather than all on or all off which will help create 'mood' and adjust for different amounts of natural light.

Cheers

Richard

I cant recommend CFL energy saving GU10s highly enough (except in areas where they will be switched frequently)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back