How many downlights to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How many dimmable 50w downlights would you all recommend for a room of 17ft by 11ft? The ceilings are 8ft high.

I think 9 (3 x 3) but have been advised that 6 ( 3 x 2) would be more than sufficient.

Also, the ceiling is 12.5mm plasterboard with a skimmed finished so would 60 minute fire & acoustic rated lights be acceptable to the authorities?

Sponsored Links
keep_it_simple said:
Also, the ceiling is 12.5mm plasterboard with a skimmed finished so would 60 minute fire & acoustic rated lights be acceptable to the authorities?
bog standard fittings would probably acceptable, depending on whether theres a flat or a garage above.

Whatever number of lights you choose, if you're dimming them, splitting them into 2 or 3 switches will prove beneficial to your dimmers.

It's on the top floor so above me is just a flat roof.

The room is an open plan kitchen/ living room so I was going to split it into two areas for lighting; the kitchen with 3 lights and the living room with 6. Each area will have its own dimmer switch.

i thought the general recomendation on here was a total of 0 downlights.

Sponsored Links
jwilliams said:
crafty1289 said:
bog standard fittings would probably acceptable, depending on whether theres a flat or a garage above.

Garage above? :eek:

You never know! :LOL: I was hypothetically speaking. Were there a garage above, the ceiling would have to be fire rated (IIRC), since all barriers between garages and living accomodation must be fire rated!

i've seen a transit drive through a door and straight into a lift once in the center of manchester somewhere presumablly to be unloaded on an upper floor.

plugwash said:
i've seen a transit drive through a door and straight into a lift once in the center of manchester somewhere presumablly to be unloaded on an upper floor.
It wasn't a window-cleaners lift was it? like on the adverts? :LOL:

it just looked like a fairly ordinary (metal box with buttons in it) but rather large lift though i didn't get a very good look at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back