How many spurs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to add a few extra sockets to my bedroom. There is only one socket at the moment which I think is a spur from the living room below. Is it o.k to take a spur from a spur and if so how many is o.k.

Thanks

Andy

Sponsored Links
No. If it's a spur from a ring on a 30/32A circuit you can't add another. The wiring regs allow 1 single or 1 twin outlet only.

Andy Velcro said:
I'd like to add a few extra sockets to my bedroom. There is only one socket at the moment which I think is a spur from the living room below. Is it o.k to take a spur from a spur and if so how many is o.k.

As Stem said you can't wire another spur from a spur.

Are you sure the socket is already a spur? If there is only one wire in the socket it is either a spur or the last socket on a radial circuit.

Trace the cable supplying the socket you suspect to be a spur back to the socket it is connected to. If there are only 2 wires you have yourself a radial and you can add as many sockets as you want. If there are 3 then it is a spur.

Davy

Or alternatively you could replace the original socket with a fused spur unit, you can then a number of sockets to the load side as they will be protected by the 13A fuse in the fsu. Might not be a bright idea if you use plug in heaters though but for low current appliances is ideal.

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
Or alternatively you could replace the original socket with a fused spur unit, you can then a number of sockets to the load side as they will be protected by the 13A fuse in the fsu. Might not be a bright idea if you use plug in heaters though but for low current appliances is ideal.

indeed a good idea :)

davy_owen_88 said:
If there are only 2 wires you have yourself a radial and you can add as many sockets as you want.

Providing the mcb is max 20A (assuming the cable size is 2.5mm²) and the floor area covered is no greater than 50m².

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back