How much for a workshop?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of an open question this, but I'm only after a very rough estimate.

I'm looking to move house at the moment, and have found a potential property. The only thing that's missing is a workshop. I think I can afford to buy the house, but not sure about getting the workshop built.

I'm thinking of something about 15' x 10' (internal), with an A-frame roof (to give me some storage) going up to about the 12' mark at the apex. 1 door, 1 window. Ideally double-skinned walls but happy to take advice on this.

I'd like to know roughly how much this might cost me, including footings etc. but excluding any wiring, plumbing etc. I might want to do at a later date.

Also, how long would it take to build?

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Jim

please note forum rule 9

Sponsored Links
Well it's better than I thought! I expected to be looking at the £15-20k mark. £10k is difficult, but not impossible.

Thanks for the info!

I am in the process of building a slightly bigger version of what you have described.

The price range indicated by noseall is accurate.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - can you tell me what sort of timescale I'd be looking at for completion?

Would be nice to know how long this sort of project would take too as I'm interested in building one hopefully this year, although I might start off small first and build a shed.

Anyway, bigall, great looking workshop there! I really like it and the fold back window panels are a great idea for those hot summer days when you're sawing wood:cool:. May I ask what plans you used? I mean, how did you plan the layout etc? Just interested.

I like that Big-all.

BTW - your clock's wrong.

joe-90 said:
I like that Big-all.

BTW - your clock's wrong.

its right twice a day :D

Anyway, bigall, great looking workshop there! I really like it and the fold back window panels are a great idea for those hot summer days when you're sawing wood . May I ask what plans you used? I mean, how did you plan the layout etc? Just interested.

yes the doors do keep me cool there is also a window [or opening] on every wall

the main functions of the top doors is it allows full length wood to be stored [11ft11" in a 12ft shed]

the plans are entierly from my head [hence the odd mistake :D ]

from removing old wooden shed to waterproof roof [felted]2 weeks

further 2 weeks to make the windows the actual time scale to get it 90% finnished was about a year as i didnt rush into any fitting internaly an example of my thought prosses is-------

i took a small area at a time worked on it then worked for a few weeks and decided workbench area would be good but what i actualy done was set up the router table in the 6ft space beyond the dewalt flipsaw with a piece of 18mm mdf 3ft by 6ft that sits on top and on outer edges on supports that sets it at same height as the flip saw

i also planned the shed around the avalable plot 'sheet an material size 9 sheets 18mm ext ply coverd the roof and the floor with only 2sqare foot wasted
and the length of avalable shiplap t&g

there is quite a large thread on this in ***********[remove the asteriks]
but as the mods here dont seem to like that forum if you google "big_all" with underscore you should get there ;)

:oops: sorry I left the Asterisks

And presumably it doesn't need planning permission, as it's not a permanent structure?

I think I'll look into going down this route, as I'm confident I can build a shed myself, not so confident I could build a garage!

Would be nice to work from some plans though - anybody know where I can download some cheap (or preferably free) shed plans? I've had a quick scout online and there's some info, but the free stuff I've found isn't detailed enough to build from, IMHO.

Jimbo said:
And presumably it doesn't need planning permission, as it's not a permanent structure?

I think I'll look into going down this route, as I'm confident I can build a shed myself, not so confident I could build a garage!

Would be nice to work from some plans though - anybody know where I can download some cheap (or preferably free) shed plans? I've had a quick scout online and there's some info, but the free stuff I've found isn't detailed enough to build from, IMHO.

several requirement best check [annon if nesesery]with your planning department

should be more than 1m from boundary less than 25% of the garden [i think] 'pitched roof 4m max flat 3m max'should'nt be too near the house or main road and as said wood
if it complies with all the hoops it dos'nt need permision

linda moderator said:
there is quite a large thread on this in ***********[remove the asteriks]
but as the mods here dont seem to like that forum if you google "big_all" with underscore you should get there ;)

:oops: sorry I left the Asterisks

very good apeals to my sence of humour :D :D :D ;)

and thank for altering the text in a manor that make sence :D ;)

Jimbo said:

i think you mean building regulations.

planning permission is a completely different animal.

signs, bill boards, sheds, etc., at the front of a building can require p.p belive it or not. all these things are semi-permanent.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back