how secure is your house?

B

breezer

saw a prog on tv this morning it went as follows:

mr & mrs average 2 teenage sons 2 dogs, interviewed our house yes its secure, the dogs wont let him in

TV co, fitted cameras in all rooms

family went to out (no really, they went out)

ex burglar (really was ex)
walked though "back fence"
used step ladder outside to gain access to sloping roof
up roof, grabbed small open window, opened big window
got in, fed dogs ham he found in fridge
helped him self to jewelery etc
found car keys hanging in kithcen took car, oh and the smaller dog.
he "got away" with £16K of stuff (they didnt say if it included car)

family were watching on tv, mrs average was distraught (even though she knew it was a set up)
tv presenter went round house with family, they couldn't believe all the mess (up turned things, empty drawers things strewn all over the floor etc)

ex burglar came back
they asked him why he took what he did

dont want tv or computer, tv's are 10 a penny, computer too big, (but he did take 2 lap tops)

he also took bank statement for all 4 of family, so he can clone them (thats clone cc details)

he took dog because he hadn't got one

took all dvds (good for car boot sale)

in short, it was amazing how much he took in so little time.

you then saw family helping out, had fence put up, chained ladders to new bolt on wall, had alarm fitted, and they will now always shut all the windows*

* one son said he often leaves his window open

(yes tv crew put every thing back / tidied up)

iwas just thinking, how safe / secure is your house? no really how safe / secure is it?

to test it, imagine you have lost your keys how would you get in?

in total they spent about £1600 with new locks, fence, alarm etc

Sponsored Links
One of my mates got done a few years ago at night whilst asleep.

The first thing the burglers did was put 2 or 3 broken bottles and glass on the stairs. The police said it was a common thing to do, the thinking being that you run through the glass, cut open you feet and then can't follow them.

He was lucky he saw the glass.

lost count of the amount of times i went to a house when i was a copper when it had been turned upside down by one of those t*ssers. Have to say it was one of the best feelings in the world when i caught them, and yes idid catch a fair few. Funny thing was even when i caught them red handed, i cant recall ever someone saying thankyou!
Still home security is amust, dont skimp on it. its well worth it for the peace of mind

Thermo

I worked this out for my place when I had lived here a few weeks. It is a first-floor maisonette, so the only thing on the ground floor is my front door (hardwood, with yale-lock and deadlocks). The windows are all gabled, hanging about 3 feet off the wall so are real bu**ers to get through.

Then I looked at the nickables and realised that very few of them will fit through the windows, so the only way to burgle my place is to either remove the windows, frames and all, or to get through the front door.

The acid test was when I accidentally locked someone in (I had to go out very early, and was running on half-asleep autopilot :LOL: ). No spare keys in the flat, so she couldn't get out the door. So she had to ring her dad who came round with a big ladder.

No she wasn't called Rapunzel :LOL:

Sponsored Links
You cannot make a property 100% secure all you can do is not give any excuse for the insurance company to cop out of paying up.

Just being more secure/less desireable than the neighbours houses should suffice!

I always leave the windows open, but no-ones taken the bloody dog yet... :D

kendor said:
You cannot make a property 100% secure all you can do is not give any excuse for the insurance company to cop out of paying up.
Lads,
Have a look at your mortice locks and make sure it is a 5-lever with a BS kitemark otherwise you may not be covered by the insurance policy, depends what company you are with and normally there is small print quoting this.

i remember last year the wife had locked herself out of the house,gets home but as we had a hardwood front door did;nt know what to do?so i tried to kick the front door in(like you do :eek: )1/2 hour later, sore foot & still not in.in the end had to call my dad who bought round a drill and jigsaw.got in eventually but don't think the upv doors that have multiple locking mechs etc.. would have stood up to a good kicking as the panels to be not as robust as wood even if the locks are?have now given spare keys to neighbours & parents.btw hate yale locks + gust of wind :eek:

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
i remember last year the wife had locked herself out of the house,gets home but as we had a hardwood front door did;nt know what to do?so i tried to kick the front door in(like you do :eek: )1/2 hour later, sore foot & still not in.in the end had to call my dad who bought round a drill and jigsaw.got in eventually but don't think the upv doors that have multiple locking mechs etc.. would have stood up to a good kicking as the panels to be not as robust as wood even if the locks are?have now given spare keys to neighbours & parents.btw hate yale locks + gust of wind :eek:

Do you charge the neighbours ? ...... Bet there is never a dull moment with the Ohms on the go at 'ome !!! ....
I would not have been surprised if the backdoor was unlocked or some such thing !! ;)

My house is pretty secure. There is me stood at the top of the stairs swinging a baseball bat.....................good enough for me :LOL:

jasy said:
My house is pretty secure. There is me stood at the top of the stairs swinging a baseball bat.....................good enough for me :LOL:
Do you have the white makeup and the black eye shadow also? ;)

jasy said:

Not 24-7 tho' .......

P

jasy said:
How do you know pip, i might do ;)
I do not, nor need to.
But if someone did, they would find the time to watch and wait.
But you do not sound like someone who hasn't worked in the Midlands, wouldn't go out shopping, who doesn't sleep. ....
;)

Sponsored Links
Back