How to choose someone for EICR testing? (and trust issues)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm seeing big difference in the costs and am worried that I will get someone that lies or at least exaggerates problems in the report. How can I even tell the truth concerning stuff I can't see??

Also I'm getting a new shower put in when they redo our bathroom soon, do I have to wait for that to be done before I can do the EICR test or would the electrician that fits it comply with EICR standards, ta.

Sponsored Links
I guess you have a rental property?
No need to delay the EICR. That is a report on the existing installation.
When the electrician installs the shower electrics he must give you an installation certificate that says that the work he has done complies with BS7671.
The work will also be notifiable, make sure you get a building regulations compliance certificate from the electrician’s scheme operator.
like this

Yes selecting an inspector for an EICR is a problem. Anyone can say they are trained and do an EICR, they do not need to be a member of a scheme, or pass any special exams.

The C&G 2391 is considered to be the exam required to do an EICR, and the scheme providers use a different colour form if covered by them to when not. And the has been a court case Pembrokeshire County Council Trading Standards v Mr Cummins when the EICR was too brief, but he held up his hands and pleaded guilty, had he not done so, not sure they would have won, as it is a personal opinion.

When I moved into this house I wanted RCD protection and I also wanted it not to have nuisance tripping, so all RCBO I made a mistake and ended up with type AC where is said type B on the boxes, and I did fit a SPD and was happy paying the extra, but there is no rule saying I must do this.

The inspector has in the main three classes, C1 = dangerous and there is rarely an argument about this, then C2 = potentially dangerous and C3 = improvement recommended, and as long as the inspector logs a fault, it is very hard to say if C2 or C3 is wrong, lets face it, 230 volt is potentially dangerous, but it does not really matter what code a fault is given, he has highlighter the fault, and that was the bit that matters.

Only when the new landlord law came in was there a problem, as in real terms C2 means must be fixed in 28 days, and C3 means you don't need to do a thing. I saw C3 as telling the client he may need to do some thing if he want to alter the electrics, for example add a new socket, but if he leaves the existing installation alone, he does not NEED to do anything.

But I have seen reports where I can't see what the fault was, or where it was potentially dangerous but only given a C3, however since it is the inspectors personal opinion there is nothing to say he is right or wrong. But it only matters if a rental property.

I'm seeing big difference in the costs and am worried that I will get someone that lies or at least exaggerates problems in the report. How can I even tell the truth concerning stuff I can't see??

Also I'm getting a new shower put in when they redo our bathroom soon, do I have to wait for that to be done before I can do the EICR test or would the electrician that fits it comply with EICR standards, ta.
Tell the guy doing the eicr that you will not be placing any remedial work with him?

Sponsored Links
Ok brilliant ill phone someone tomorrow., thanks for letting me know I didnt have to wait.

Yes am going to rent it out, it's been empty for a while. At least I don't need to get something fixed immediately if problems are detected, it's a victorian property though and am expecting a lot off problems tbh. I know for a fact it hasnt been tested in 30 years perhaps much longer.

Tell the guy doing the eicr that you will not be placing any remedial work with him?
As I often say, that's what we always initially do if/when employing a 'new' person to do EICRs. Once we have (satisfactory) experience of their EICRs (and usually also other work), such that we 'trust' them, we may well then eventually change that, and be happy to let the person who undertook the EICR also undertake the remedial work that the EICR indicates should be done.

Over the years and decades I have seen quite a large number of PIRs/EICRs and, although the iffy ones we usually hear about here are those which seem to be attempting to 'generate work', by over-reporting/'over-coding' things (and I've certainly seen a few of them!), I have to say that I've probably seen at least as many that have been iffy in the other direction - i.e. failing to identify/report problems which I knew existed.

Kindest Refgards, John

I was told that if I go with someone else I have to get another EICR from the new guy.

btw how do my consumer units look? dunno the age! Each fuse= 1 circuit I think.
fusebox.elec meter.jpg

I was told that if I go with someone else I have to get another EICR from the new guy.
Not true.
You would end up with the original EICR identifying the repairs required
and another certificate for the repaired items.

how do my consumer units look?
The Wylex boxes are 1980s, the MCBs in them are later, probably 1990s or early 2000s.
The RCDs in the separate enclosures are much more recent.
Tails are far too long and need to be secured.
Unknown why the meter has been located so far away from everything else.

All in need of a substantial overhaul.

Obviously false.

You will get additional certificates for the repair work.
Im dissapointed in the one that told me that.. thanks.
Not true.
You would end up with the original EICR identifying the repairs required
and another certificate for the repaired items.

The Wylex boxes are 1980s, the MCBs in them are later, probably 1990s or early 2000s.
The RCDs in the separate enclosures are much more recent.
Tails are far too long and need to be secured.
Unknown why the meter has been located so far away from everything else.

All in need of a substantial overhaul.
Needs an overhaul due to not being ideal or due to being dangerous? Im low on money and just want it good enough to rent tbh.

Unfortunately, as you may discover, opinions about that in relation to individual issues may vary quite a lot.

Kind Regards, John

That seems bizarrare, but yes I noticed it from a few other searches here. Why such a wide range of opinions. Is it a question of probabilities? Some people are considering extremely low probabilities, while others don't? Everyone should be following the same science, so I can't think of any other explanation.

There are no fuses, all MCBs, RCDs.
Looks like I need to do some reading before someone comes round..

Also I'm considering getting multiple EICR now and going with the cheapest resolution.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back