How to clean a roller quickly and effectively after use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Currently in the process of painting the walls and ceilings with emulsion using a standard 9" roller.

The painting I dont mind, but the time spent trying to clean the damn roller afterwards is killing me! No matter how long I spend washing the damn roller it just never seems to get clean. :oops:

Is there a knack of cleaning a roller? Should I be using water, soapy water, brush cleaner. white spirits etc ?

Also, if I intend to use the roller the next day (or day after) can I store it in cling-film or an air-tight carrier bag? If so for how many days?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Taz.

“Never buy a dwarf with learning difficulties – It’s not big and it’s not clever."

Sponsored Links
I give the roller a quick scrape off in the sink then take it in the garden and hose it down. By hitting the roller at the right angle you can get the roller to spin fast enough to clean it and throw most of the water off it leaving it almost dry.
If you want to use the same color paint the next day just wrap the roller sleave in cling film overnight, I've wrapped them up tight before and their still fine after a week.

you might want to get one of these things that you put a "thing" on your drill, put the roller on it, hold roller in bucket (you hold the drill) switch on 15 seconds then put roller in turps or water (depending on paint) then put back in bucket switch on for 15 seconds, its done and clean and dry.

516809s.jpg

qvc sell them

other suppliers are available

Throw the roller away?

I know it's wasteful but if the refil is only £2-3 is it worth wasting 20 mins cleaning it?

As Dirk said, wrap it up in clingfilm or a bag, mine was OK after a month!

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
you might want to get one of these things that you put a "thing" on your drill, put the roller on it, hold roller in bucket (you hold the drill) switch on 15 seconds then put roller in turps or water (depending on paint) then put back in bucket switch on for 15 seconds, its done and clean and dry.

I would def agree. They are a godsend. they really do work well and you can get rollers and brushes clean and dry in a matter of minutes. Just remember to have a dustbin or similar to do the spinning action! I bought mine from QVC back in 1997 and they have more than paid for themselves.

Don't go for the cheap refill solution. Best quality roller gives best quality finish and easiest application.
If re-using, stuff it into a carrier bag, squeeze out the air, tie the neck. That will keep fine for a long time - though if it's a lambswool roller it will rot if you leave it for weeks. :oops: :oops: :oops:
I've tried the washing with the hose or power spray outside. That's great, but best only in the summer as you are likely to get very wet.
I take the sleeve off the frame then first scrape off as much paint as possible. Then fill the sink with slightly soapy water and run the sleeve up and down the bottom of the sink. Squeeze the water off and redo several times. Final rinse under the tap.

If you are using emulsion you can keep the roller for a day or two by wrapping in cling film or storing in an airtight bag. Doesn't work for oil based paints though.

i agree , decent rollers for a decent job and you cant afford to throw em away. Cling film or carrier bags to save daily washing and a final good clean when done. After cleaning i use hair conditioner on my brushes and rollers. Sounds wierd but it relly does improve them (and they look so shiney afterwards, go on you know theyre worth it!)

When I do wash my rollers (when I don't throw them away or keep them in cling film) I do it in warm water and with some washing up liquid. Not too hot or the paint curdles, but not just tepid. The washing up liquid seems to help loosen most of the paint. I don't bother trying to get the water to run clear, just a couple of washes get 90% of the paint out. The next time I use the roller, the first few rolls need to be wasted or done in a inconspicuous place.

cazmick said:
Chuck them in the washing machine..Not the handle though.
Really!!! Never thought of that.
Anyone else tried it? Probably not ecologically sound, but if it really works and doesn't cause domestic strife due to paint in the next wash - I'd give it a go

:LOL: Panjandrum, have been doing it for years..no sign of any problems, and a perfect clean roller everytime.

Don't tell the wife if you think it might upset her.

loads of cold water to get the most out
then soaks in hot squeezy water...
rinse and
soak again
drip dry in garage...if you see paint drips
soak again
not my favourite way...but that washing machine idea was good.. :rolleyes:

Glad you like my washing machine method MRCrow. That's what these forums are all about, helping others with problems...shareing Tips...and ideas etc.

i know its a bit old, but used cazmicks idea, after finishing a job. I even put a couple of brushes in and i am amazed at how ell its all come up, nearly like new! Washing machines fine, but i put it through a quick rinse just to be sure....highly recomended! :D :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back