How to connect a 2-gang plug socket to another

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All (first time up) :oops:

Have read through numerous pages, makes sense, but...feel I would still rather confirm my understanding of what I am about to do.

Situation is this;

I have a 2-gang socket connect to mains, I wish to open this (with the obvious switched off, fuses removed etc) and connect an "extension" wire approximately 12m with another 2-gang socket attached.

This is not a radial circuit, so I am right in thinking that I just connect the new wires in the same order as they in the first 2-gang socket? (i.e. earth to earth, live to live and neutral to neutral).

Appreciate this is probably discussed somewhere, but this is getting me down and need to complete (or my tea could be in the dog again...!).

Many thanks for all replies in advance.
[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Should be ok but do not daisy chain. You can only connect one double socket to this if its a point on the ring main.

12m is rather long for 2.5mm² to be protected by the circuit fuse/MCB - would be a good idea to use a 13A FCU at the origin of the spur...

Thanks for all the info.

So just to confirm I am reading this right.

I should spur off the 1st 2-gang socket (using 12m of 2.55mm2 cabling) this would connect into an FCU (making sure here - a fused connection unit - 13amp).?

I know this may seem a bit of overkill, but its my neck (and heart) that will take the punishment when i switch it on.. :confused:

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
whyme-again said:
Thanks for all the info.

So just to confirm I am reading this right.

I should spur off the 1st 2-gang socket (using 12m of 2.55mm2 cabling) this would connect into an FCU (making sure here - a fused connection unit - 13amp).?
Other way round - the FCU (Fused Connection Unit) should be at the start of that 12m run, i.e. close to the socket from which you're spurring. If access to the cables makes it feasible, put the FCU directly onto the ring.

BTW - 12m is a heck of a long way - what route will the cable be taking? How come there are no other sockets closer?

Thanks again for that.

Its a rather large horse-shoe shaped room, with no other sockets and want to have a 2-gang socket on the other side.

Somebody not happy with an extension lead running round the room (...for me, I would do it...but I'm not the boss :evil: ..lol).

Might be a tad shorter than 12m, but would'nt like to hold my breath.

whyme-again said:
Thanks again for that.

Its a rather large horse-shoe shaped room, with no other sockets and want to have a 2-gang socket on the other side.

Somebody not happy with an extension lead running round the room (...for me, I would do it...but I'm not the boss :evil: ..lol).

Might be a tad shorter than 12m, but would'nt like to hold my breath.

I see, we have a horse shoe shaped house or (rather bungalow) , cu is at one end, makes for long cable runs :( , thats not as bad as the fact that there is no access to put cables into the cu area :( , oh and the whole thing was wired by the DIY'er who lived here before, some of its bad, what appears at first glance to be a ring on a 16A breaker serveing most of the bedrooms (I haven't looked it it closely, but I suspect maybe the cable length might make a 32A breaker a no no, or it might even be two radials), lack of sup bonding, exported TNT-C-S earth (can of worms anyone?), cables just laid across joists, sagging in between, a lighting circuit with aout 8.5A worth of lights on a 6A breaker, did have 2.5mm² SWA on a 32A breaker until we swapped it with the 16A next to it (a 2.5mm² radial which we almost totally ripped out and replaced with a ring), bathroom downlighters in in appropiate zones, shower isolator in inappropiate zone. Loft is a total rats nest of mains, television, alarm and phone cables, I have no idea how many of those round junction boxes there are, but its lots.

Anyway, I digress :oops:

I would like to say a big thanks to everyone who has been HELPFUL!.

To ease the minds of those that care, I have called in an expert and relieved myself of some well earned cash, but can sit back with gratification that if it goes bang, I can blame someone else.

Adam, I would like to make one comment, I used this site for the sole purpose of learning, understanding and possibly saving myself some money, perhaps you know a ton and half more than me and understand the in's and out's of electricity and its fundamentals, but I am just a mere mortal who likes to ask for assistance when its needed. If you have found some enjoyment in this then good for you (p.s. - a little knowledge can be dangerous, too much can be lethal).

To all you other people, many many thanks, I have learned a lot, but in the end resigned myself to a better person. Once again thanks and good luck with the site and forum. Tks VM

I must admit I'm not sure why Adam chose to share with us the problems of his house, but nor am I sure why you seemed to take such exception to it...

ban-all-sheds said:
I must admit I'm not sure why Adam chose to share with us the problems of his house, but nor am I sure why you seemed to take such exception to it...

I expect posting on the forum while slightly inebriated had a little to do with the first :oops: :rolleyes:

My apologies for not understanding Adam's keeness to share his apparent problematic horse-shoe.

Ban-All-Sheds, this was fun, trying to translate and find an appropriate remedy, but in basic translation, I offer this answer:

Foolish Intoxication :LOL:

Overall though guys, your answers worked, the job a success, the cost minimal and quite a few happy people, not too mention one extremely contented user, who feels much better that he did not apply Adams liquid refreshments to the situation ;)

Cheers to everyone, have a good one. May your lights always be bright...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back