how to cut/measure angles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

current project needs some angles cutting as per the pictures

db1.jpg

db2.jpg

I have a chamfer bit for my router but thats a set angle of about 45, how would I measure this angle to mark it? Its mdf, can I plane it?
Im not laminating it so that bit doesnt matter.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You really need an accurate table saw to length cut some of those angles. Whoever supplies your MDF (?) might be able to do this.

Scrit

Hi,

Thanks for the sugestions, I have a mitre saw but it will only cot up to about 5" for skirting boards and such.
I got the mdf from Clays in Blackburn, went to holdex as suggested previously but it was shut. I figured because its only a small piece I could maybe plane it but its a long time since I worked out any angles and wouldnt have a clue how to measure. Now you mention saws, I have a table saw which I used to cut the mdf, I didnt even give it a thought, it does angles as well. I'll give it a go on some scrap over the weekend, the problem with my saw is its not 100% accurate on the scale (if the length scale is anything to go by), a classic case of getting what you pay for.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
eggplant said:
I got the MDF from Clays in Blackburn, went to Holdex as suggested previously but it was shut. I figured because its only a small piece I could maybe plane it but its a long time since I worked out any angles and wouldnt have a clue how to measure. Now you mention saws, I have a table saw which I used to cut the MDF, I didnt even give it a thought, it does angles as well. I'll give it a go on some scrap over the weekend, the problem with my saw is its not 100% accurate on the scale (if the length scale is anything to go by), a classic case of getting what you pay for.
You must have gone on Saturday afternoon! Holdex is a trade place and only opens Saturday mornings.

You could try measuring the angle using a cheap W H Smith plastic protractor as you make some test cuts. You can plane MDF with a sharp plane iron, but the iron doesn't stay sharp for long! A circular saw is about the best method, even if you have to sand it afterwards (using a piece of sand paper wrapped round an MDF offcut to avoid dubbing over the chamfers).

Good luck!

Scrit

Hi,

It was indeed last Saturday PM, I recall you saying that its not a good idea to ask them to do loads of cuts on a Saturday, I didnt realise their opening hours, and since allthe marking and cutting is part of the enjoyment I just had Clays cut the sheet in a few places so it would fit in the car.
I have plenty spare so I'll have a play, the angle is where 2 panels fit together on the front and if its a bit out I suppose I could sand it to "make it look right" but I'd rather get it right rather than do a cover up.

Thanks

eggplant said:
I have plenty spare so I'll have a play, the angle is where 2 panels fit together on the front and if its a bit out I suppose I could sand it to "make it look right" but I'd rather get it right rather than do a cover up.
I was thinking more in terms of sanding after you cut it on the saw to get an acceptable surface finish as the saw will leave quite a coarse surface finish. The reason for using a solid sanding block is that it will leave your edges nice and crisp when you are sanding, rather than dunbbed over (i.e. rounded) which may well happen if you hand-hold the abrasive without a support.

Scrit

Try on a bit of scrap with a sliding bevel set to your angle, and a number 5 plane (very sharp). I think it would give you the results that you are looking for and will keep the edges sharp.

joe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back