how to get geraniums to all flower at same time

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 80 geranium plants in small terracotta pots. I would like at least 60 of them to flowering at the same time (21st July) in order to decorate a village hall for a friends wedding.

At the moment about a quarter are actually flowering, rest are different stages of bud or still putting on leaf growth.

I am nipping out the finished flowers and have marked up a few plants to see how long it takes to go from bud to open flowers. The idea is that if someone can tell me the magic trigger, I can bring them on together.

If I treat the non-flowering ones badly by not watering them enough will they come into flower. Or is a high potash feed a good way to trigger flowering?

Any other ideas?

many thanks

Min

Sponsored Links
No one replied - am I attempting the impossible?

When you say geraniums I assume you mean the summer bedding type (pelargoniums).If the plants all started out the same size I'd be very suprised if they are not all flowering by 21 July. Don't skimp on water but don't worry too much about feeding, they should flower without it. Don't forget to deadhead regularly.

The crucial thing is sun and lots of it. Enjoy the show.

You are right about potash

Deadheading is vital (carefully snap off flower stalks when half to three quarters of the available buds have flowered) it might seem like a waste but they look very clean if you do this

Don't pot them on too quickly. They thrive on being slightly pot-bound

Grading plants from the beginning is the only way to achieve uniform results . This means ruthlessly throwing out the ones that are too big or too small

Sponsored Links
Nerine and Modern Materials - many thanks for the information and advice.
(yes, they are pelargoniums)
I will do as you suggest, then at least I have done all I can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back