How to join toilet cistern water pipe to the float valve?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have sprung a leak from the joint between the water supply copper pipe - 15mm - and the plastic screwthread part of the cistern float valve. Tried tightening but to no avail. May have damaged the float valve thread so will be ready to replace that if necessary. The nut on the water pipe looks like it needs replacing too. But what sort of connector do I need for this ? Would one of those 300mm long, flexible tap connectors do the job ?

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
I'm not sure I follow this completely (a bottle of Red on a Saturday night does that to me!) but anyway...

Yes you can use a Flexi connector to connect the water supply. You need to be careful when tightening any metal thread to a plastic thread. Obviously if you over tighten metal onto plastic, the plastic thread will tear.

Try using some Fernox LSX between the two threads. It might sort it. If not, you'll probably need to renew.

Blasphemous said:
Yes you can use a Flexi connector to connect the water supply.

Yep B&Q rescued me. The helpful assistant (they are good nowadays aren't they) pointed me straight to the 15mm/1/2"/300mm flexi-connector with isolating valve - and the cheap pipe cutter. Cut the pipe and ftted the connector in 5 minutes flat - but unfortunately the plastic thread is shredded. So a new one is required. But at least the leak is stopped and water is on.

Thanks to both of yous.

John

Sponsored Links
The best connectors (IMHO) are the ones using a tapered (conical) rubber washer (eg. the Hep2O type). Especially on plastic fittings, these only need to be slightly more than hand-tight to seal.

croydoncorgi said:
The best connectors (IMHO) are the ones using a tapered (conical) rubber washer (eg. the Hep2O type).
They're also a favourite of mine, but when I tried to replenish my stock last month my merchant said that they couldn't get hold of any from Hepworth because they were reviewing the manufacturing process after reports of some leaks.

Another good fitting (for WC inlets) is the John Guest "female coupler", which the instructions say must be tightened by hand only - no tools.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back