how to kill the mother of all tree stumps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a sycmore in the back garden, about 25-30m tall and 40 years old, and had the thing chopped down and removed. I was left with a stump that's about 50cm high and 1m wide. I dug down around the edges and severed a lot of the roots with an axe. The thing is though the stump looks like there's no life in it, I imagine it's just gathering it's strength to burst forth again with millions of suckers. What is the best method of killing it? I've tried cutting into it and drilling holes, but it's as hard as granite. Completely impenetrable. I was told the best thing to do was build a box around it, fill it with compost and keep watering it. That way it would eventually rot over the years. Having spent £300 having it removed I would rather not pay another £100 for stump grinding. Will any sort of weedkiller work ?(the problem with that would be I can't drill into the bugger.)

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Put some old corrugated iron around it and light a fire over it. Keep it burning day and night for three moons and finally douse it with spring water.

joe

the problem with a fire is there is I live in an area where lighting fires isn't appreciated. Also the stump is in the corner of the garden with neighbouring fences on 2 sides.

hire out a stump grinder for the day, theyre only about 30-50 depending who you get them from.

Sponsored Links
They can removed using dynamite but it's not really suitable in a built-up area!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back