how to make a flat roof into a slight ptch roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have flat roof extension which was a outside toilet and coalshed. It`s roof is of the old poured asphalt type and leaks terribly into my kitchen. Would any of you kind gents tell me if I could alter the flat roof to a slight pitched roof. if so how do I go about it. all information would be greatly apprieciated.The building incidently is attached to the house and not a seperate building

Sponsored Links
Aahhhh so thats what the leaning tower of Pisa is all about then. Much easier to put on a pitched roof in the firt place :p

Poured asphalt? not 3 layer with chippings...The former should last longer,and only leak if you can see cracks. More info please..may not need to renew,shallow pitches tiled can be problems too.

The house is a 1940s semi and the flat roof conversion was done before I bought it. the leak is at the join between the kitchen and the conversion.
I have tried sealers and the like but still no luck. lasts about 3 months then starts to leak again.
I was advised to have a lead flashing fitted into the wall at the join as opposed to the cement one which is in existence and a rubberoid roof covering.
Ithought that a slight pitched tiled roof would be better in that the water would run away from the house.

Sponsored Links
DELL said:
Ithought that a slight pitched tiled roof would be better in that the water would run away from the house.
It would be better, how much angle do you think you can get away with?

I thought it was probably the join between roof and wall...cavity wall or solid ? You can pitch a roof as steep as you like, that join is still a weak point and if it`s a cavity you`re lucky because a proper flashing can be inserted, a bit@ a time with plastic cavity trays,and weep holes... If it`s solid :cry: you need just the cover flashing set into the wall, and the wall above needs to be in good condition, pointing etc. Builders Merchants stock the Remedial cavity trays...and a few old plumbers still do leadwork:cool:

to masona
probably 45 degree into the gutter with a decent flashing
could I do it myself
:confused:

DELL said:
probably 45 degree into the gutter with a decent flashing
Don't have to have it that high, approximately 15 degree is the lowest.
could I do it myself
:confused:
Don't know but will need building permission approval which is straight forward, pop down to your BCO with a rough darwing and they will tell you what to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back