how to reduce condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how can i go about it.ive had upvc double glazing fitted although still a bit draughty in places.come the winter time there is always gallons of water on glass,now have mold and fungus growth on plastic,which has trailed up newly papered walls and has managed to cross over even onto vertical blinds.i have bought a dehumidefiyer but its useless,what else can i do short of leaving windows wide open in the middle of winter.the house is about 100 years old.also the rads are not under windows in most rooms,but the hose is kept warm due to having 2 babies in the house.the condensation is at its worst in the two front bedrooms.

Sponsored Links
wossie6 said:
i have bought a dehumidefiyer but its useless
Maybe it's not powerful enough, if it's collecting water then it's working or maybe not in the right position.

You could install vents in the floor, leading to the sub-floor where you should have adequate ventilation via air-bricks?

This is one of the occasions where I would start panicing. If you have babies and mould caused by condensation, you need to ventilate. Your house is about the same age as ours, but for the old part at least, we still have most of the original leaky wooden windows. We don't have damp problems.

There is a conflict between the modern requirement for heating and reducing heat losses cos J. Pres**** says so, and the age old need for biological systems (like people) to have fresh air. I choose fresh air. Humidifiers will not give satisfactory performance in a house, unless you seal it up, and stop generating excessive moisture. (This is easily done by stopping washing with hot water, no more cooking and definitely no breathing) The most efficient way to lower humitity is to shove the damp air up the chimney and give it a helping hand with a fire, (wood burning stoves work well).

Because of todays building regulations, we have to install sealed window frames, then they have to put a ventilator in them, which people keep shut. If you have a leaky frame and put a jumper on, you will be reasonably and a lot more comfortable.

On a serious note I would do something immediately about the mould growth, for both you and especially your babies. Washing the surfaces with fungicide is not the cure, you need ventilation. Ventilation doesn't make you ill, mould spores do.

Sponsored Links
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't most old houses still have patent chimneys - albeit with the fireplaces boarded up.

Wouldn't it then be possible to place a simple air vent in these areas. Perhaps there are already vents in place but these have been blocked/papered over?

Also I think most upvc windows have small air vents that you can open at the top of the window.

The other more onvious option is to turn the heating up and open the windows (it doesn't have to be open much just enough for air to circulate).

I have to agree with the oilman....it's better that there's some ventilation than a warm humid environment for organisms to grow.

just as i thought.thanks for the replies guys.one thing that puzzles me tho,is why are my windows like this ,but neighbours windows are not,(glass wet).same air bricks and nothing more added.the dehumidefyer does work.maybe i will have to get one for every room,rather than leaving it on the landing and leaving all of the doors open.i have fire places downstairs,but presuming that its just the breasts :oops: in the bedrooms,and no original openings.i have no vents in the frames,in hindsite i should of had them added,but no one mentioned them,when they got priced up :evil:

there is always a possibility that your windows arent doing a very good job at insulating the outside temp. i.e. leaking. I say this because condensation is a sign of a cold surface causing precipitation - that gets worse with the temperature diff - your neighbours have better windows perhaps.

david p what could be done to rectify this.i think that you are correct in this instance,even breathin on the glass causes moisture.i have cheapy, done on the side windows in the front and have rehau windows at the back,but still get a problem in the back bedroom,but no way as servere as the fronts.

......why are my windows like this ,but neighbours windows are not,......

Babies cause an awful lot of washing and from what I've noticed, houses where babies are, are hot and damp. Just what you don't need. Open some windows, they will be better for it.

You could try a tumble dryer instead of hanging washing up all over the house.

My house is also 100 years old and has double glazing throughout. I have No problems at all with condensation becouse the house started out dry and is kept dry all year round. Condensation is caused by dampness. No ifs or buts. If the air in the house is hot and damp and a surface is cold.. then condensation. You need to break the cycle of evaporation/condensation and the only way is to get rid of the water and make sure you dont introduce any more. Get a condensing tumble drier and No drying stuff on radiators ( where does the water go???? )

Hi Wossie,

How long have you lived in the house? I noticed you mentioned newly wallpapered rooms and wondered if you had recently moved in? If you've been living there ages and only had the problems since adding the windows then it must be them. If you've lived there less than a full year, then the problem could possibly be something else.

It may be worth checking out the obvious points as well. Damp proof course ok? No ground or anything else higher than it anywhere? Roof ok? also check out any overflow pipes you may have. I got a really mouldy wall in the playroom, what I hadn't noticed was not only had the overflow pipe broken in the cavity wall gap, but the ballcock had also gone in the tank in the loft, all the water ran down into the walls and we ended up with a mess. I've also got to go and clear the outside drains in the morning as I've noticed 2 of them are blocked too (Oh why did I decide to gravel the back patio? :( It's caused countless blocked drains since, even though I've moved most of it now, some still gets in)

Sorry I can't suggest more, although it may be worth contacting the company who installed your windows, it should be their problem too! Any problems contact Trading Standards at your local council offices, they can be really helpful.

Best of luck

Steph

well i have been here for nearly 3 years,had old aluminium d/g in and i remember condensation then,but put it down to old window frames that were cold anyway,and the gap between the glass was about 3 mm.where mould is now on wallpaper is where it was vynal wallpaper.cant really say that the house has damp withen the walls as all damp proofing has been done and as its a old house anyway there is no current dpc,but old houses are built from engineering bricks (arnt they?).boiler is a combi,all old plumbing ie tank in loft has been ripped out.it will be interesting in the summer tho,as to whether the dehumidifyer is still collecting water

Have agreed with Oilman,

Today property are too well insulated therefore what is known as "trap condensation" meaning the moisture from hot air cannot get out unless you use ventilation method. The moisture will always go to the coldest spot which is your windows. You cannot beat draughty windows, who need double glazing ? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back