1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

How to remove metal insert from plastic Pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Mmark, 29 Apr 2016.

1. Mmark

Mmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have a plastic pipe used in a brass elbow compression fitting. The things leaking, so i've had to remove and replace but I don't have much leeway and cannot damage the pipe in anyway - the other side is embedded in concrete, under a tiled path and would be prohibitive to have to fully replace.

I got the olive off, but I cannot seem to get the metal insert out. Any ideas? Is there a special tool for this?

Mark

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Dan Robinson

Dan Robinson

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hep inserts have barbs, so if you have them then you're screwed.

Pictures please.

4. Mmark

Mmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I found this article, suggested using an expanding rawbolt. Tried it, worked great. Luckily the insert was smooth.

Mark

5. Tipper

Tipper

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've always yanked them out a little with a pair of pliers then prised them out with a screwdriver.
    Only the newer Hep2O sleeves have barbs, the older ones don't. Both come out OK.

6. sooey

sooey

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Why did you have to replace the insert if you'd got the olive off?

7. Sponsored Links
  8. Agile

Agile

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I was wondering that too.

In fact I wondered how it was leaking and thinking that a little PTFE usually solve small leaks!

9. SandyLyon

SandyLyon

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Since you're got the olive off replace it with a copper one (softer than brass) if needed a bit of PTFE tape as Agile says.
    Don't use jointing paste with plastic and make sure you put the insert back into the plastic pipe.

10. DP

DP

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Wire with a hook will remove many insets, others like speed fit and ones DR mentioned might need to be cut out if you cannot find replacements

Cut the pipe with a cutter instead of saw (rough saw cut often not square so seal may be compromised or plastic barbs etc causing leak)

In past have used PTFE with mixed results

11. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I usually try sticking a speedfit pushfit stop end on the pipe and then take it off again as the inserts often come out inside the stopend!

12. Mmark

Mmark

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks all.

I'm just going to replace everything except for the plastic pipe that cannot be moved, the parts are not expensive. The copper pipe is oxidised and covered in bonding, and I read that inserts can be damaged, so best to replace. Maybe they could just be re-used, but the parts where cheap, so I thought it simpler to do it, and make sure it was right.

I have to stick with a brass elbow as the plaster space is small and a plastic elbow will protrude otherwise.

Definitely going with a brass olive on the copper side, that was something I learnt yesterday - thanks for confirming this is a good idea. I will stick with a copper olive on the plastic side.

I have some paste for the copper side - it seems the world is split 50/50 on paste vs ptfe tape.

Was just reading today about whether paste can or cannot be used on the plastic side, thanks for confirming it cannot, will need to look into what I can use that side, maybe just ptfe for that side.

Fingers crossed

13. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local