How to stop modern toilet "running through"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a modern toilet with dual-flush press buttons on top of the cistern. When you flush it, it is now "running through" more often than not. By running through I mean that, after the initial flush, water continues to flow through to the bowl and the cistern continues to fill but never makes it, due to the escape of water. This goes on until you lift the lid and waggle things around. Sometimes just lifting the lid can cure the problem. We are concerned about this as we are on a water meter. I can't work out which part needs adjusting or replacing. Any help appreciated.

Sponsored Links
When you lift the lid off you may see two threaded lengths of plastic, has one worked loose therefore holding the plunger agape. :?:

Thanks for the reply, however I have now lifted out the valve assembly and can see that it relies on it's own weight to bring the flap down after a flush. This is very marginal, as it is made completely from plastic. I think the valve was simply not coming down every time, so I have added some weight, in the form of a piece of 22mm copper pipe. It has flushed OK three time now, so lets hope that's cured it :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back