How to tile wall before putting in new bath ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a plumber coming round next week and putting in a new bath for me. I have removed the old bath from the wall and want to tile the FULL wall. The new bath will fit along it, length ways. I have already bought the wall tiles to do the full wall, even though the bottom few rows will not be seen when the new bath is put in. Is is wise to tile the full wall, then push the new bath against the tiles OR push the new bath against the untiled plaster and then tile down to the bath ? Is one method safer against leaks than the other after applying sealant ?

Cheers
Natasha

Sponsored Links
It's a waste of tiles if you don't see them? A small point but, the advantage of fixing the bath first and tiling down to it is that if the walls are not quite square, the tiles will hide the error better because they will overlap the bath where it touches the wall, and leave a smaller gap than if the bath was pushed against the already tiled wall.

Plus the 2 fixing brackets on the top of the bath go under the tiles.

If you are short of room, you can put a dust sheet and some plywood or similar on top of the bath. This will propect it and also give you some room to work.

It is best to use your vac to remove any rubbish out of the bath to save scratches.

After finishing fill the bath with water to help it settle , then do the silicon.

You can get sealing beads that go over the edge of the bath. These do a wonderful job of sealing the bath against the wall, permanently. Unfortunately these have to be put on before you tile.

When you are setting out your tiles, you want to make sure that the joints are going to be optimised, for the best aesthetic affect within their environment. If you put the bath in after you have tiled, heaven knows where the joints are going to be relative to the bath top. You could end up with a thin slither poking up above the edge that is tapered to one end. Beleive me, that would look naff.

If you put your tiles up first, your bath will be set away from the wall (by the thickness of the tiles + adhesive). This will effectively reduce the room size. May not be significant in your setting.

On the other hand, the advantages of putting the tiles up before the bath goes in.. are.. :rolleyes: erm..
:rolleyes:
Still thinking.
:rolleyes:
No, I give up.

Sponsored Links
first fill it up with water then get one of those strips that go behind the tiles & seals the bath/wall edge.when u empty bath u will have a perfect water tight seal.worked for me the last 4 times :D

What do you reckon of the L-profile beads? My local builders' merchants assured me this was brilliant, and sealed better than the quarter circle profile. Not so sure I am convinced though...

AdamW said:
What do you reckon of the L-profile beads? My local builders' merchants assured me this was brilliant, and sealed better than the quarter circle profile. Not so sure I am convinced though...
they're the dogs danglies ;)

For my money, if you tile, then butt the bath up against them, then I'd always doubt whether you are going to get a good watertight seal. From what I've seen, the bath is generally scribed into the wall, sealed, then the tiles are put on, and another final seal between bath and tiles applied (with the bath completely filled with cold water). I'm not a pro though (obviously) so I could well be wrong. L profiles, never heard of these, what are they?

l-profiles sit on the bath & the straight up bit goes on the wall so is tiled right down to the bath,just wack a load of clear silicone sealent and wipe off excess.when you empty the water out the bath will rise very slightly making a better water tight seal.

i think :p

-profiles sit on the bath & the straight up bit goes on the wall
That's the jobbies I was talking about in my post. The ones I used have a vertical piece (that sits on the wall behind the bottom of the tiles), then a horizontal piece (that comes forwards over the edge of the bath), that curves down and finishes as a very thin rubbery textured edge.

They most certainly are the canine zygote production organs. Do it once, and you'll never have to seal it again.

They sound cunningly canine cknackerish (ow!), where can you get them from ?

They sound cunningly canine cknackerish (ow!), where can you get them from ?
Lupus Danglius R us :)
Seriously Any Tile Suppliers Topps Tiles etc.. Even B&Q have them (I think).

I got them from my local Buildbase, went in there looking for the quadrant style but they told me L-profile was better.

I suppose it is, because it flexes as the bath rises and falls but the quadrant is rigid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back