How to wire a bathroom extractor fan - HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a new (old) house and I am slowly replacing light fittings and sockets etc. I am currently trying to replace the old Extractor Fan in the bathroom that no longer works.

I have swapped the old fan with a new timer fan, it is connected to the bathroom lights (same as the old one) so when you switch the lights on (pull switch) the fan kicks in, this in itself works fine but I would like to be able to switch the extractor off seperately if i wanted to so I could have the lights on but no extractor or extractor on but no lights.

I'm not really sure how to do this, this is how it is all wired up at the mo: there are 3 cables (4 inc light flex) coming out of the terminal 1 from the lighting circuit 1 going to the pull switch and 1 going to the extractor which is a 3 core cable (red, yellow and blue).

Is it possible to add a seperate switch for the extractor? If so where will it go? I'm probably being really stupid but i'm a bit lost on this one just can't get my head around it!

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
gselliott said:
Is it possible to add a seperate switch for the extractor? If so where will it go? I'm probably being really stupid but i'm a bit lost on this one just can't get my head around it!
Thanks in advance!

There should be an isolator switch, normally outside the room over the door. This would be a three pole isolator breaking live, switched live and neutral ( red, yellow and blue ) to the fan leaving the earth wire intact.

Normal use is to isolate the fan for service and not for on / off as it may get left switched off and this may allow condensation to build up in the room.

Thanks for the reply, I have just had a look and I can't see an isolator switch anywhere so doesn't look like this was put in properly in first place then!

You can prob guess my next question how do i put an isolator switch in for the fan? will this just get connected somewhere between the light terminal and the fan itself?

Have a look in the loft for the isolator. If you can't find one then the isolator can be wired in between the ceiling rose/junction box and the extractor fan.

Sponsored Links
There was no isolator box to be seen anywhere but I managed to get one put in last night and it's now working a treat!

Thanks for the help!!!

But it still does not do everything you wanted!

You can switch it off but cannot put it on without the lights !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back