Howdens - Any good for kitchens?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with a company called Howdens, for kitchens? I've heard them mentioned a few times in passing and am thinking of getting them to supply the cabinets as well as the appliances. Any views as to quality/value compared to the MFI/B&Q brigade?
Thanks, J.

Sponsored Links
I've just finished my kitchen which was supplied by Howdens.

Good points are all carcasses are made up and seem good quality, all the bits were there, some turned up damaged but they were quick to replace them with no problems.

This is the only kitchen I've ever done but if I was to do it again I'd use them.

However, they have many different prices for many different people. My uncle just so happens to have a trade account (he's a shop fitter) with them and got me a massive discount which overall worked out at 48% of there price to people who just walk in off the street.

Another point is that Howdens supply MFI so anything you see there you like, you can get from Howdens.

Another point is that Howdens supply MFI so anything you see there you like, you can get from Howdens.
I couldnt get a good price from Howdens so bought from MFI.
But
The depot I went, to the kitchen designer was CR*P I told him the design all he had to do was lay it out to calculate the cabinets required.

Lewy - thanks, very helpful.

Any other views?

Do you have to be trade to buy from them? If so, I'd have to get a builder I know to get them for me. Do you know if their prices change depending on who you are? Problem is that my builder's never used them before, so they probbaly won't exactly bend over backwarsd to give him a good price for me.

Sponsored Links
I think I was very lucky in that my uncle was 'in' the trade.

anyone can walk in to the depot and buy stuff but my impression was that the prices are not set at all and vary wildly on who you are.

I had to plan it myself, they didn't send anyone round, but if I was you, I'd get B&Q or MFI round and get them to plan it for you, give you a nice picture, then you can do what you want, as long as you know you want say, a 600 unit here a 400 wall unit here etc... you can do the rest and make a list.

Someone in the trade who's 'in' with them can then order it for you.

My uncle got mine from the Avonmouth depot in Bristol and they were more than helpful in delivering it, bringing new parts that had broken in transit (this was one wall unit that had crushed slightly).

To show how the prices vary, the end panels when bought through my uncle in the main transaction cost £29 each. When I'd nearly completed the kitchen some 4 weeks later (I did it on weekends and nights) I cut the end panel too short and needed another one, I just went in from work and asked for one, he asked if I has an account, I said no and he charged me £71!!

My experience is the same. My father has a trade account and the stuff comes in cheaper than MFI when they are having a 'sale' (Are they ever not?). Good quality but as previously stated not the best at laying it out for you.

As far as I remember Howdens are owned by MFI . I use Howdens ( Leeds )all the time (about 25-35 kitchens per year) and find them to be very good on both product and delivery. The prices do vary quite a lot though depending on your trade status and I would recommend you get a Trade customer to order it for you and offer them a bonus for their trouble because it will still leave you quids in from the non trade prices.

DAZB - that's helpful thanks. Just called the builder I'll be using for some of the structural bits that need to be done before the kitchen's fitted. He's not got an account there but has said he'll try to open one so that he can get the kitchen. But judging by what you say, as he'll just be opening one now, he might not get such a great deal? Would that be right? Cheers

In my case and a few other trade customers that I know of you get a certain percentage as a discount as standard and then based on how much you are spending with them, and of course if you are settling your account on time , you can negotiate better discounts on the items you are spending on regularly i.e kitchens or doors etc.... It is worth chatting with the staff or Manager of your local branch as each one will have different promotions on certain items too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back