Howling pipes!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I connnected a new electric shower using the existing cold mains supply to the old mixer. A tee off the original main runs to a gate valve which isolates the supply to the header tank. A tee off this goes via an inline valve to the shower supply. The inline valve appears to be half closed but will not turn further in either direction, so I isolated for fitting using the gate valve. When the shower is turned on it howls like a banshee and the pressure is insufficient to operate the shower (although the bath and basin taps fed from the same original main have easily enough pressure)

My guess is that it's the inline valve that's the problem but does anybody have any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Cheers Kev, but I've done what I was paid to do. Luckily, before I connected up I attached a length of flexi to the outlet and turned it on to flush through and it made the same noise. The client said, "carry on anyway" so I did. My bit (electrics) is all installed, tested, certified... it just won't work until the water issues are sorted! The plumbing is really tricky to get at and would involve moving a tank to do it right; I just wondered if an inline isolator could make such a horrible noise.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back