HRM Wallstar Service??

P

Paff

Hi all,

First off great forum :D

Just a quicky....

I have had REAL trouble finding a reliable person to come out and service our HRM Wallstar boiler. The first one we contacted strung us along for TWO WEEKS before not answering his phone etc. The second one failed to turn up when first booked, then failed to turn up on the second day he was booked - he said it was raining - OK so it's a Wallstar and you service it outside. Now he has failed to tell us when he was coming again, so I rang him today to ask where he had left his bill (a round-a-bout way of asking if he had done it, and he said that his other chap has been and done it and that they do not leave a bill but send it via the post!

Now my questions:-

I don't trust him to have been and done it at all as the case and screws are still as dirty/covered with cobwebs as before. Am I being stiffed?

Is the nozzle replaced every year?

We missed a year so the nozzle must need replacing.

Is there anyway that I can check to see if the service has been done?

Can I take the cover off and undo the two pinch bolts to see if the nozzle has been replaced?

Your help would be great.

Cheers,
Worried of Ipswich
aka Paff

Sponsored Links
look up "cadence"

its the style of your operation....its sh yte to be honest. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't say you were being stiffed because you made the suggestion it had been done, and the guy rightly assumed his mate had been round.

Ask the oil supplier for a guy in your area, or better still get in touch with Oftec they have registered Installers listed.

This time of year when all the short sighted punters suddenly decide its getting cold, so they had better get the boiler looked at, making it very difficult to find an engineer thats not busy, or at least the ones that are any good are.

Oftec say you have to change the nozzle every year, they say you have to change the flexi pipe every year, they say you have to change the filter every year, next they will be saying you have to change the boiler every year. Mostly this is a load of rubbish.

I have been to Wallstars that were put in 5 years before, and had never been serviced. Combustion test results were perfect with nothing being done, so this rubbish about nozzles wearing out in a year is just that.

Do you have a diesel car? or a petrol one for that matter. how ofthe do you change the injectors? and they are a lot more fussy than oil nozzles.

For Ipswich, go to CPS, their service department is run from Norwich, by someone who does the job properly.

And those that particularly bother me call now to say that as the weather is cold can be service their boiler as they dont want it to fail over Christmas ( when out charges will be higher! ).

I have a standard reply that we charge £55 for servicing during the summer but during the autumn months we charge for servicing at £84 being our repair charge.

Tony

Agile said:
And those that particularly bother me call now to say that as the weather is cold can be service their boiler as they dont want it to fail over Christmas ( when out charges will be higher! ).

I have a standard reply that we charge £55 for servicing during the summer but during the autumn months we charge for servicing at £84 being our repair charge.
Which part of this is relevant to a Wallstar service?

Thanks guys for your replies.

I booked the first guy at the start of November so that it would be done well B4 Christmas. If the first one had kept his word then there would have been no panic.

The only thing I can do is to get another service done and be here at the time!

Surely they should leave the old nozzle behind to show that it had been replaced? Or could they just leave any old nozzle if they wanted to do a scam?

Is it me or do I not trust them? ;)

doitall said:
Wouldn't say you were being stiffed because you made the suggestion it had been done, and the guy rightly assumed his mate had been round.

Maybe, but you have to trust them to turn up when they promised, how can you tell if it has been done if no one was here at the time?

There is no physical sign that they have been.

You don't trust them, so you will always have a problem.

Read my earlier post again, particularly with respect to NOZZLES. Why, oh why, do you think a NOZZLE is necessary? And how can you be sure a new nozzle will be better than the old one?

The service guy should have left a timed and print of the combustion results, but you would not know if he had cleaned out the boiler or not, and that makes much more difference than nozzle changing.

oilman said:
You don't trust them, so you will always have a problem.

Read my earlier post again, particularly with respect to NOZZLES. Why, oh why, do you think a NOZZLE is necessary? And how can you be sure a new nozzle will be better than the old one?

The service guy should have left a timed and print of the combustion results, but you would not know if he had cleaned out the boiler or not, and that makes much more difference than nozzle changing.

The boiler has been installed for 8 years and has always had a new nozzle fitted every year... so that's wrong then? I'm only the punter, I don't know when you have to replace the nozzle. When I deliver heating oil then I leave a printed ticket, not let the customer guess what has been delivered. I don't trust him because he has let me down three times.

oilman said:
Read my earlier post again, particularly with respect to NOZZLES.
With respect oilman, your post wasn't very informative as to the reason you think the Oftec advice is rubbish (sic.).

Paff said:
The boiler has been installed for 8 years and has always had a new nozzle fitted every year... so that's wrong then? I'm only the punter, I don't know when you have to replace the nozzle. When I deliver heating oil then I leave a printed ticket, not let the customer guess what has been delivered. I don't trust him because he has let me down three times.
Paff - you seem to be going around in circles with this. It's not reasonable to ask people here to support your mistrust of the person you've engaged, because we don't know that person.

If I were the punter, I'd ask for a bill that explains what work has been done, and see if there's any evidence of that work. If you do this, and it's too difficult to ascertain whether or not the work was done, then I suggest that you pay the bill and then resolve never to use them again.

When you engage someone, be picky; and, if possible, only use people you've been personally recommended to you.

Softus said:
oilman said:
Read my earlier post again, particularly with respect to NOZZLES.
With respect oilman, your post wasn't very informative as to the reason you think the Oftec advice is rubbish (sic.).

oilman said:
I have been to Wallstars that were put in 5 years before, and had never been serviced. Combustion test results were perfect with nothing being done, so this rubbish about nozzles wearing out in a year is just that.

Seems clear enough.

HANG ABOUT!!! Paff, do you mean to say as an oil tanker driver, you don't know a useful service guy??

oilman said:
HANG ABOUT!!! Paff, do you mean to say as an oil tanker driver, you don't know a useful service guy??

I wondered how long it would take for the penny to drop... :LOL:

We have service engineers but they are based in Diss and I don't get to see them, so they might as well be strangers.

To the post before yours, I am not asking you all to back my mistrust, I was trying to find out if I can check anything to prove the service has been done.

Will I be OK to take the cover off, undo the two pinch bolts and remove the burner? If I take a look at the end, will I see the nozzle?

Regards,
Paff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back