Humming Shaver Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a new dual voltage shaver socket installed and it constantly hums. Is this normal? - Its driving me nuts.

Sponsored Links
a1topdog said:
I've had a new dual voltage shaver socket installed and it constantly hums. Is this normal? - Its driving me nuts.

all transformers hum... some more than others.... altho i wouldnt have thought a shaver transformer would hum too much

Firstly, I suppose it depends what tune it's humming. I mean, if you're an arsenal fan, and the shaver outlet is humming "You'll never walk alone", it may p*ss you off slightly.

Secondly,
a1topdog said:
Its driving me nuts.
In that case, why did you have it fixed to your c*ck? :LOL:

Seriously, is it well fixed? Is it plastered in or dry-fixed? Ie in a stud wall or timber cupboard.

If they are dry-fixed or the box or plate is loose, the vibration from the tx can be transferred to the surface it is mounted on.

Sponsored Links
it could be against a loose peice of metal.... the transformer in my UPS was makin a louder than normal hum... that bad i had to switch it to mains so i could sleep. next day i noticed if you press the bottom in it stops.... so it now has a piece of blue-tack with a bit paper over it on the bottom... just to keep the noise down!

Its from the "Chelsea" range at TLC. Not sure of the actual manufacturer

i had an old wall wart that was buzzing once (rather loudly). opened it up and found that a lamination on the top of the transformer core was loose pulled it off and the wall wart was fine.

a1topdog said:
Its from the "Chelsea" range at TLC. Not sure of the actual manufacturer

OK, then, you're a Chelsea fan, and it's humming "You'll never walk alone"............

Ok, Ban, an MK Dons fan. Whatever. It'll still be humming "You'll never walk alone".

Don't By MK or Linolite, I've been doing a Job recently and all the MK gear is total rubbish and the Linolite Shaverlites we have installed are cheap crap.

Those that know me also know I usually recommend MK, and whilst I would still vouch for their Logic range and their circuit protection kit, the rest of the stuff now appears to be made by Mr and Mrs Wong somewhere in Taiwan to as low a budget as possible.

We've been using the Brushed Stainless Steel range kit...£20 a double socket, and they fall apart, the spurs are crap, the 3 pole Isolators are crap..it's all crap...

And the Linolites...cheap nasty things, their Tx's hum louder than 10kVA Site Tranny!! Client has already moaned and only one flat is so far powered up full time, the others have been tested but left powered off for now.

out of interest fwl do you still consider mk masterseal kit to be good quality?

Yes, but then they are made by MK in Southend to strict British Standards, I think it would cost them too much money to reduce the quality of the product for the amount they sell.

Its definitely the transformer making the noise , not a vibration. The face plate is metal and is warm. Should I be worried about it getting warm?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back