Hut Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I've just moved into a house and have been undertaking all the necessary DIY jobs, decorating etc. But now that they are out of the way I can move on to the juicy things.
The previous owner installed a hut which contains a garage consumer unit and has twin and earth armoured cable coming from it.
He never linked it in to the house so I am going to give it a bash.
I've done basic electrics before (changing sockets, installing a fused spur etc...) and just want to see if this is the right way to do things.
I can't get under the floor as we have installed real wood flooring so I want to know if I can take a 13A fused spur from the ring main downstairs at a point close to the hut to supply the consumer unit in it.
The hut will only be used to power low voltage garden lighting and a strimmer from time to time.
Cheers guys.

Sponsored Links
You will need RCD protection, amongst other things. Do a search for garage, shed, outhouse wiring.

coming off a FCU on the ring is not ideal but its not too bad provide you only plan to run small appliances

what size is the existing cable
is it two core (with only the armour as earth) or is it three core?

if your ring is not already rcd protected then you could use a rcd fcu but i would say its prefereable to add rcd protection to the whole ring

The cable is twin and earth armoured and the main cu is protected by a master RCD breaker.
I'll only be running low voltage lights on a dusk to dawn timer and occasionaly the strimmer during the summer months.
You reckon that an FCU will be OK then?
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It is not connected to anything at the moment, but there is a garage cu in the hut which has a double socket connected to one of the fuses.

Did you mean that the consumer unit in the shed really has fuses, or mcb?On the whole mcb strike me as a better bet.

A fused spur will give you 13A maximum. This should be ample for anything you might want to plug in, so long as you are only planning one thing at a time.

What rating are the fuses?. Anything bigger than 13A is pretty pointless as you will end up going indoors to replace the fuse if you get a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back