HW - how to turn it off.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK - dumb question so I am really sorry - I did a search but couldn't find it.

I have a Vailant 828 Turbomax Combi.

I have a leaking HW tap in the bathroom (sink)

I also have a stopcock which is so old it won't budge.

How can I safely turn off the HW in order to change the tap?

The only thing remotely tap like under the boiler apart from the pressure release is marked "cold water mains". The one marked "DHW Outlet" doesn't have a tap on it.

I've tried searching google, looking in DIY books etc but I get the feeling I'm missing something soooo basic no one even talks about it...

Sponsored Links
the cold water inlet connection under the boiler (just to right of central gas pipe) has an isolating valve which is operated by turning a screwdriver slot through 90 degrees. Slot in line with pipe is open, slot at 90 degrees to pipe is shut.

thanks kevplumb, thanks chrishutt :oops:

had visions of my boiler imploding if I drained DHW with mains water in set to off.

never had a combi before - its modern and a scary.

cheers!

Sponsored Links
It would be a good idea to get the stop cock working. Mostly when customers can't shift them we can open them by hand, you get used to it. If that doesn't work a tap spanner on them with a bar across the other end offers enough leverage. Seldom but occasionally so much force is used that the shaft breaks, then you have to have a new one fitted.

With all taps, but especially stop cocks never leave them fully on, opne fully then back off quater turn.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back