HW must be on with CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
System is gravity fed with a pump for the CH.

Manual for electronic control states that the system can be plumbed in one of two ways:

1) CH and HW independent
2) HW must be on with CH

Mine is setup as option 2 and I'm wondering:

1) Why it would have been installed this way?
2) Would there be any significant advantage in cost savings by having it re-set to CH and HW independeny?

Does it really make much difference either way?

Sponsored Links
If you set your programmer to HW & CH separately you will find that even on CH your HW will still heat as there is no control to stop the HW gravity circulation. The way the programmer is set is the correct way and if you want more control you could fit either a gravity control valve or even a motorised valve to shut the circulation on the return, you must leave a clear path from the flow to the expansion/vent pipe hence valve on return and a cylinder stat to control the water temp or interlock with the boiler to shut it off when it's up to temp.
If you did it this way you could use the full programme facilities on the timer.

Thanks for the detail.

If I were to do it, would it actually make much (if any) difference to gas bills?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back